Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace my cable and who ever had it before me changed it to a single cable. anyone who a part number for a single cable instead of the dual cable(7080968,7080708)
2000 scrambler 400 4x4 2 stroke

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
You don't need a dual cable unless the oil pump is still operational

Those cables were discontinued years ago and the one you need is 7080708

They are new on Ebay for $36 here's one

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is what i ordered and it is a double cable . i have read pro and con on cutting the one to oil pump . i guess i take the ole one off and go to local shop to try and match one up

·
Registered
11,903 Posts
I have worked on these things since before 3 and 4 wheelers were thought up. In my opinion; there are no pros to eliminating the oil pump and only cons, but if the oil pump has been removed, the oil pump drive removed and the drive hole sealed, the only option is to premix and run a single cable. Most of the so called PROS to removing an oil pump are simply ignorance and the rest are outright lies. The only valid PRO to eliminate an oil pump is a failure that requires parts that are no longer available to effect the repair. A quality dual to single replacement cable may be custom manufactured by Motion Pro for about $150 - they just need the original cable as a pattern and sometimes for the original cable outer sheath fittings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just pulled the tank off to see if it was indeed a single to double cable and it was a single. the person i bought it from had removed the oil tank cable and wire for it. the cable threads into the thumb lever .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts