Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to swap my rear hubs out for Predator 500 rear hubs. I hope to open up my options for both wheels and tires. I am going to put my husband's stock rims & tires from his RZR 800 2013. I will let you know what the outcome is.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
a picture too, if you're able.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
So the hubs off of a predator will go on the axle of the scrambler? good info,. they should also fit the older solid axle machines too.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Looks like it was made for it.
Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will have to check the spline count on my magnums axle vs the predator. This would be an awesome swap expanding my options for wheels and tires.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looks awesome by the way!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Am I missing something ? How does it open more wheel possibilities ? It's the same bolt pattern. Is it a different offset ?

·
11,141 Posts
Not so Tekrsq, not the same size or bolt pattern or stud size on the older Scramblers a least. Putting Predy hubs on lets you use standard Polaris 12" and 14" wheels and tires.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ok, very cool. I learned something. Thx !!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
bump, did anyone ever find something out about magnum splines, if these hubs will work on magnums?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Everybody does realize that you have to run your factory rims flipped around because of the huge offset difference right? It's 2 1/2" per side.

What this means is that 4/156 aluminum rims like ITP will result in a 5" narrower rear wheel base.

·
Registered
251 Posts
so this would give the bike a wider rear axle or shorter?

·
Registered
47 Posts
so this would give the bike a wider rear axle or shorter?
The rear axle width, hub mounting surface to hub mounting surface, is the same with either hub on it.
The mounting surface on 4/156 rims off lets say a 500 sportsman rear, are set to the outside of the rim farther. This is because their IRS is wider.
Even flipping the factory rims from side to side isn't exactly right either, it's close to 1/2" wider per side.

How do I know this? I have a set of 03 Predator hubs on my bench I just bought to do this. I changed rims across 4 atvs and came to the conclusion that if I'm going to run any 4/156 rims, I'm going to machine up a couple 2 1/2" spacers that adapt from the 4/4 hubs on a straight axle to the 4/156 bolt pattern. This way the wheel stance will end up the same. I can't find these on the web anywhere. I might make two sets and throw one up on ebay and see what happens.

Oh, BTW: FS: one pair of 03 predator hubs with studs and nuts.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It works just fine, the only problem is that they are too thick. They will need to be ground on some for the nut and washer to work. Buddy

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
It works just fine, the only problem is that they are too thick. They will need to be ground on some for the nut and washer to work. Buddy
They work fine with 03 predator rims and tires as you show.
Most if the comments so far pertain to sportsman, aftermarket or rzr rims.
Grinding? How about buying the longer studs?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
They work fine with 03 predator rims and tires as you show.
Most if the comments so far pertain to sportsman, aftermarket or rzr rims.
Grinding? How about buying the longer studs?
The center of the hub where it goes on to the axle splines is too thick. So when you go to put the castle nut on you can't get a cotter pin through the hole.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts