Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I picked up a scrambler 500 for 600.00. Owned by a farmer. Ran great until it sat for over year. I Did the usual, new plug clean gas. It will not get any fuel to the carb. Gas gets from the tank to the fuelpump and that's it. I even bought another fuel pump used and same thing. I even tried covering the intake with my hand to create suction. If I poor dime gas in the plug hole. It starts right up then dies. Is this pump I just got also bad? Thx

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its a diaphragm pump, which requires vacuum to work.
One hose is connected to the vacuum side of the carb, the other to the fuel bowl.

Check the hoses on the pump, you could have a split in one. which would stop a vacuum process going to the pump.
if you disconnect the hoses from the carb you can blow/suck on the vacuum side and gas should pump out the other hose. you should be able to hear the pump working as well.

If that works then you could have a clogged carb, which isn't allowing a vacuum.

Or the pump is just connected wrong.. the vacuum hose should be on the port with the P on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The carb was completly gunned up. I'm in the process of rebuilding it. S o I'll report back when done. I will check the hoses also Luke you mentioned

·
Registered
12 Posts
probably the carb then.. just make sure you can blow through the vacuum port.
and doesn't hurt to look at the hoses, since you are there.. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got her up in running. Rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel line. Pretty sure the carb was causing it . thanks for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts