Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello so i ordered a new control switch for my 01 scrambler 500 but it was the wrong one. i need the one that has the push up button and this one is for the sportsman that does not push up but uses the key to start the bike. I'm going to return it but I'm wondering before i do if anybody ever swapped the ignition on the crambler to the turn key ignition with the sportsman control switch? I'd rather have the turn key ignition if its possible. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
It's easy to do - just requires some rewiring.

How many socket positions are on the wiring harness plug of your key switch? 4 or 6?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the reply. It has 4. I see the sportsman keys have 6 so i was sure if it was possible.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
All you have to do is break the red/wht and the wht/red wire going to the handlebar switch and wire them to the momentary contacts of the 3 position key switch - just gotta find a compatible connector and wire terminals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it looks like the polaris ranger side by side key and harness might work. Its got the 6 prong in line connector. The key harness is sold seperatly so that would be perfect. i would just have to figure out how to splice the 4 wire harness that's on it to the 6.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Piece-o-cake:
The 4 wires to the original switch are probably the same color as the wires on the 6 contact switch - red to red, red/blk to red/blk, blk to blk and brown to brown - find where the red/wht and wht/red wires from the handlebar switch connect and connect the r/w and w/r to there - 20 minute modification for an experienced technician (after all the plastic has been removed)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! I found the oem harness and key for 10 bucks so its worth it i think. Thanks a lot for all your help with everything lately. im waiting for my new starter to come in so im working on tightening up a few loose ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts