Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am very intrigued with the Scramblers and Renagades. I recently sold my YFZ450 and have some extra cash. Now I have read mostly the Renegade is faster than the Scrambler. First of all can anyone tell me why the 800 is faster? Is it clutching, lighter weight? As far as ride goes, it sounds like the Scrambler with the XP chassis is the better ride hands down? Just looking to collect some facts and info. I went and looked at both yesterday and they both are badass.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The canams are lighter and they make nice power down low. My outlander 800 beats my 850xp out of the hole and for the first 75-100 yards, then the power of the xp catches up.

·
Premium Member
10,349 Posts
Can't answer for the speed but a guy I ride with has a Rene 1K and after riding on the second day at HMT he sure was whinning about how sore n tired he was. There was another gentlemen in our group that had the scrammy LE he never mentioned he was worse for the ware. The renes look like they are a hard ride.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The canams are lighter and they make nice power down low. My outlander 800 beats my 850xp out of the hole and for the first 75-100 yards, then the power of the xp catches up.
Thanks for the input. Must be can ams are more aggressively clutched?

·
Registered
815 Posts
a scrambler 850 with a clutch kit would be bad ass. the can am just doesn't have a good 4wd system.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a scrambler 850 with a clutch kit would be bad ass. the can am just doesn't have a good 4wd system.
Did some reading, sounds like mixed results on clutch kits for Scramblers with stock size tires. Exhausts on these things sound amazing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I race against a guy on an Outlander 800 and I'll tell you that engine sure has nuts off the line. No worries, I catch him pretty quick and beat him at last weekend's race. From following him off and on for the better part of 10 racing miles I'd say the suspension isn't as good on the Can-Am as the Scrambler.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I race against a guy on an Outlander 800 and I'll tell you that engine sure has nuts off the line. No worries, I catch him pretty quick and beat him at last weekend's race. From following him off and on for the better part of 10 racing miles I'd say the suspension isn't as good on the Can-Am as the Scrambler.
Thanks! What makes them so quick off the line? Are you running any sort of clutching mods?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a clutch kit in the 850xp to kinda make it like the outlander but I think the 12" versus the 14" rims and tires makes a little difference too. No kit in my outlander just a lot more snappy off the throttle.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks! What makes them so quick off the line? Are you running any sort of clutching mods?
Must be in the clutching, I don't know if this guy has any clutch mods, I do not have a clutch kit in mine. It is so smooth and linear from the factory that I have been hesitant to change the clutching.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must be in the clutching, I don't know if this guy has any clutch mods, I do not have a clutch kit in mine. It is so smooth and linear from the factory that I have been hesitant to change the clutching.
Good to know. Since you have first hand experience what's been the best mod for the Scrambler?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
From what I understand and have found out in the past, is that the v-twins make a lot of power down low (torque) while the inline twin has a little more on the top (hp). This is why the 850 starts pulling on the 800 after 50-60ft, but the can am will take the 850 polaris off the line almost every time. As far as clutching, it might be a little more aggressive, but the can am guys put modified polaris clutches on their bikes so I tend to lean away from the can am having better clutching...

Also, can I ask why you aren't interested in the Scrambler 1000?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From what I understand and have found out in the past, is that the v-twins make a lot of power down low (torque) while the inline twin has a little more on the top (hp). This is why the 850 starts pulling on the 800 after 50-60ft, but the can am will take the 850 polaris off the line almost every time. As far as clutching, it might be a little more aggressive, but the can am guys put modified polaris clutches on their bikes so I tend to lean away from the can am having better clutching...

Also, can I ask why you aren't interested in the Scrambler 1000?
It's not that I'm not interested in the 1000, I love it. It's my bank account that's not interested.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Lol, mine wasn't either...but since the wife said OK so I didn't question it.

I researched both for a few years before things finally fell into place for me to buy one. And I can tell you they both have positives and negatives. Go with what YOU feel best about buying and you wont regret it, but if you do go with Can Am, check out can-amforums.com to see how BRP treats some of its customers first...That was one big reason I went with Polaris.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I researched both for a few years before things finally fell into place for me to buy one. And I can tell you they both have positives and negatives. Go with what YOU feel best about buying and you wont regret it, but if you do go with Can Am, check out can-amforums.com to see how BRP treats some of its customers first...That was one big reason I went with Polaris.
there are stories for both brands. I believe it is more about the dealer then the company. I personally would drive both then go with your gut feeling. Research your dealer if you can. To be honest if your Polaris dealer has a better rep then the Canam I wouldn't even look at the Canam and vice versa both are awesome machines. I put over 400 miles on my Renegade at HM and loved it. I had an 850XP and im sure that would have great as well. As many know you can't go by forums alone they both sell thousands of machines you are bound to get a few lemons. That is what your going to read about and what is the percentage of good to bad. The best part is the test drive :) enjoy

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good to know. Since you have first hand experience what's been the best mod for the Scrambler?

It was the Aaen Performance slip-on muffler hands down. I was seriously considering a clutch kit before this muffler, now I'm not. It helped most off idle into the mid-range. You had to use body english to lift the frontend before, now I can lift the frontend easily with throttle alone, just sit in the seat and mash the throttle. Easy on a sport quad, but the weight balance of the Scrambler is to the front, especially with a full tank of fuel so it was a problem when stock.

Second, I'd say the Flexxbars. The stock handlebars just aren't made for going fast IMO, too much bend, it was hard on my wrists. I installed a set of Flexxbars, 14 degree quadracer bars and it is a much more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
there are stories for both brands. I believe it is more about the dealer then the company. I personally would drive both then go with your gut feeling. Research your dealer if you can. To be honest if your Polaris dealer has a better rep then the Canam I wouldn't even look at the Canam and vice versa both are awesome machines. I put over 400 miles on my Renegade at HM and loved it. I had an 850XP and im sure that would have great as well. As many know you can't go by forums alone they both sell thousands of machines you are bound to get a few lemons. That is what your going to read about and what is the percentage of good to bad. The best part is the test drive :) enjoy
Yes, there are stories about both brands, but when a company goes to the owners of a public forum and pressures them to close a thread because its hurting their rep...That's a big sign to stay away from said company. I know Polaris has horror stories also, but BRP takes the cake when comparing warranty issues and damage control....Real world and on the forums.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't have to have a wheelie monster if it just squats and accelerates like a rocket. I like the Scrambler more and more for the ride and ergos I think. The dealer is a wash, they sell both brands. Chronix, my wife said go for it to, but I just don't know about doing that. My brain says get the base 850 which is plenty of machine for me, and save what, close to 4 grand?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes, there are stories about both brands, but when a company goes to the owners of a public forum and pressures them to close a thread because its hurting their rep...That's a big sign to stay away from said company. I know Polaris has horror stories also, but BRP takes the cake when comparing warranty issues and damage control....Real world and on the forums.
I agree about totally about the frame issue and the pressure they put on them to take it off. What I was saying mainly that most issues on the reliability of these machines are some what made out worse then they are when you get 4 or 5 people saying they are having a certain issue but there are more then likely are thousands that don't on all brands. A good dealer gets your ride fixed a bad one doesn't and they all should be the same. When I had my Brute my dealer never had an issue getting my quad fixed under warranty and I read all the time others have problems getting there's fixed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts