Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a 2013 or 2014 scrambler LE just want to know everyones thoughts. Love the ride of the new sportsmans. How does the scrambler compare power and comfort wise?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
815 Posts
My friend owns the polaris dealership in our town. He says they are dangerously fast. Sounds like fun to me

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2013 859 xp eps le and it is fast.I haven't riden a sportsman to compare it to but with the adjustable shocks you can dial it in and it rides and handles great.One of the disadvantages over the sportsman is with the scrambler your not going to stay clean rideing though anything wet.My wife has a 550 sportsman and if we ride though the same area she's clean enough to go shopping and I look like a drowned rat.:rotflmao:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the 2013 850 (base) and I love it. I like the power, the ride, and mostly the looks, but the sound of the machine is just AWESOME. But if you ride on anything other than gravel, you are going to get covered in it. I have had a few things wrong with the machine, the rear cover was broke (new off the show room floor) the bearing on the rear prop shaft went out and they had to replace the seal, and the primary clutch has a weird noise at idle. It also did not want to start today and it was only 15º F today with a 20 mph wind. The battery just didn't have the juice :hmmm:. So I rate mine a 7 out of 10. I just seem to have bad luck LOL it has about 115 miles on it. As for the ride it rides nice, I also had a 2013 550 XP and my brother and uncles both have the 850's, one being a 2011 Browning Edition, and the other being the 2013 Stealth Black Limited Edition. Our 2013 are a bit faster than the 2011, but Scrambler vs Sportsman, there is no difference in speed. I have drag raced a couple of times :aargh4: and we are bar to bar. I do have to say my uncles tires are stock while I have STI HD3 Wheels and STI Black Diamond tires on mine which may slow me down a bit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the 2013 850 (base) and I love it. I like the power, the ride, and mostly the looks, but the sound of the machine is just AWESOME. But if you ride on anything other than gravel, you are going to get covered in it. I have had a few things wrong with the machine, the rear cover was broke (new off the show room floor) the bearing on the rear prop shaft went out and they had to replace the seal, and the primary clutch has a weird noise at idle. It also did not want to start today and it was only 15º F today with a 20 mph wind. The battery just didn't have the juice :hmmm:. So I rate mine a 7 out of 10. I just seem to have bad luck LOL it has about 115 miles on it. As for the ride it rides nice, I also had a 2013 550 XP and my brother and uncles both have the 850's, one being a 2011 Browning Edition, and the other being the 2013 Stealth Black Limited Edition. Our 2013 are a bit faster than the 2011, but Scrambler vs Sportsman, there is no difference in speed. I have drag raced a couple of times :aargh4: and we are bar to bar. I do have to say my uncles tires are stock while I have STI HD3 Wheels and STI Black Diamond tires on mine which may slow me down a bit.

My Scrambler also came with a broken rear cover, I got a replacement which is also now broken. I called Polaris but they don't really care and told me to call dealer. The brake cables have rubbed the paint off the plastic etc. as well. When I buy these type of things now I get the best price possible and no extended warranty then fix them myself.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nate, is your battery on a tender? If not, you should consider getting one. I learned the hard way that even a brand new atv battery can be dead after one cold winter. $90 is a lot of money to replace a battery every spring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are 3 things I have found NOT to be in my favor out of the box.

#1-The front cab gets rubbed near the steering pod area by the cables and wires when you turn the bars at about 3/4 of the way to lock both directions. You can feel and see the cab move when it gets hit.

#2- The clutching is off for my liking. Ride a Renegade out of the box. The clutching is excellent for stock.

#3- The tires are poor. They do not work well in loose or low traction conditions. (Sand, Snow, Loose rock)

I've only got 135 miles on my machine in 2 rides, but these are my impressions as of now. I have ridden and owned many machines, different makes and models. Other than that I have found it to be a well balanced and well handling machine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There are 3 things I have found NOT to be in my favor out of the box.

#1-The front cab gets rubbed near the steering pod area by the cables and wires when you turn the bars at about 3/4 of the way to lock both directions. You can feel and see the cab move when it gets hit.

#2- The clutching is off for my liking. Ride a Renegade out of the box. The clutching is excellent for stock.

#3- The tires are poor. They do not work well in loose or low traction conditions. (Sand, Snow, Loose rock)

I've only got 135 miles on my machine in 2 rides, but these are my impressions as of now. I have ridden and owned many machines, different makes and models. Other than that I have found it to be a well balanced and well handling machine.
I can see your points and here is what I have done.
1. Adjust cables with ties and adjusted handlebars upward which allowed a better riding position and got rid of the rubbing.
2. I actually like the clutching better. The clutching on my Outlander is very tight. So much so that when traversing rocky areas it is difficult to ride smoothly it is that touchy.
3. Swapped the tires out for Bighorns before I even picked it up. Tires are one area on almost all kinds of vehicles- motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc. that are cheaply appointed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the '13 scrambler le. I absolutely love it. I have always ridden big bore 4 stroke dirt bikes. My scrambler is my first venture into the world of atvs. There are a few things I would change to make it perfect but overall it's a great machine. I have about 1700 miles on mine. So far my rear cover has been replaced and I have a new factory exhaust because mine broke but they covered it under warranty. If you are going to get one you wont regret spending the extra money for the le. The fox shocks are worth the extra money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks EricH.
My machine has been in the shop now for almost a month for Polaris to give my dealer the go ahead to fix the bar to cab rubbing issue. The dealer is going to bat for me due to my cab being rubbed through the paint all the way into the plastic grooving now. Polaris just won't take what the correct fix is and implement it.
It sucks I haven't been able to really ride my machine and get the bugs worked out during its six month warranty.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Couple of zip ties will fix that issue. i would fix an issue like that my self before letting it sit in the shop for a month. i cracked a frame and it only took them 3 weeks to fix it, for free.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks EricH.
My machine has been in the shop now for almost a month for Polaris to give my dealer the go ahead to fix the bar to cab rubbing issue. The dealer is going to bat for me due to my cab being rubbed through the paint all the way into the plastic grooving now. Polaris just won't take what the correct fix is and implement it.
It sucks I haven't been able to really ride my machine and get the bugs worked out during its six month warranty.
Don't take this the wrong way but your quad has been at the dealership for a month just because the cables are rubbing the plastic?
Personally I have thought this was a laughable issue when reading reviews of the Scrammy. I mean it's a quad, not a sportbike. lol

Mine has some marks where it rubbed before I adjusted my handlebars. If it were to ever bother me that badly, I would take a file and some touch up paint to the plastics.
But if I were to worry about that, I would really be stressing over all the scratches I already have on the paint from branches and rocks...after just 5 hours ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The main issue here is the brake line is to short and needs to be routed differently. It needs to be about 2" longer to route correctly and not pull on the master cylinder which is going to cause the banjo bolt to break. When you turn the bars to full lock both directions there is a lot of pressure being applied and pulled on the line. Bad design and shame on the engineers for putting something like this out. I am not that shallow to worry about scratches as I had it scratched in no time. I bought the machine to ride not to take to the show and shine events.

I have been in the motorsports industry professionally for 15 years. I am a Master Certified Tech far a couple of the Brands. I currently do not work at a dealership. (Took on a new adventure) I have seen a lot of goofy things done by the manufacturers and have pointed them out and got the fix implemented. Some worse than others. This is a issue that has a simple fix that will be fixed in the future because of individuals like me that will point the issue out and get the manufacturer to look at it. If things like this just get swept under the rug, it will never get resolved for future individuals that purchase this model.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts