Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to Polaris lineup so looking for all the must need items for these machines based off of the Sportsman XP lineup over the last few years.

Quick examples:

Frame & chassis integrity - what areas need attention?

EPS - how reliable is the power steering system?

Clutching - any issues with cooling, water intrusion, ways to make it better?

Engine management - is there a limp mode? If ways to override it or keep it from happening?

Structural issues - hubs, bearings, suspension? What breaks bends etc?

Thanks! Happy new year!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Happy New Year and Welcome to the forum. First off, Polaris does not have any issues with the new Scrambler, well that is what they are going to tell you.:chairfall: Yours might have issues but they don't...

I would think that your model will have less issues than ours due to the fact that you will be carrying less weight around, which we all know is a good thing. Just keep up with the maintenance and be sure to lube after every ride, tighten bolts when they are loose and don't overload your vehicle with extra weight for any long rides.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rick, welcome and are you looking to race it for the 2013 series? If you get a chance, Rath would be able to tell you every issue there could be with the Scrambler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im looking at this quad and a can-am outlander 1000.. im going to use it to work,open trail ride, and maybe to go mudding every once in a while. Im just looking for other peoples opinions on which one i should buy?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love my scrambler iv got 590 miles on it so far I usually ride ruff trails around 40 mph and iv never Had any issues the fox suspension is a little stiff when riding slower tho

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
the 850 seems to be really good know after years of being made. There is one part on the frame that dues brake but very few bikes have that problem, I mean very few like I've seen 3 of them, also front axles don't like heavy tires at all haha.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I made a few phone calls yesterday and the list is pretty extensive to prep the Scrambler for racing however it's no worse than building a Can Am.

Highlights are:

Plate & Gusset all A-arms - they will bend into a gullwing after one race. After adding additional material they hold up fine.

Plate & Gusset all A-arm mounts on frame - they bend or break off. After adding addtional material they hold up fine.

Rear spindles / Bearing race - the circlip lip will break off and caus bearing to come loose.

Cast Frame Pieces - replace with steel custom units. - These will break after a few races.

Front Aluminum Hubs - Replace with rear Steel hubs.

A-arms - Bushings will need to be replaced after every race. What's a good replacement bushing?

EPS - The system will develope play in it - meaning you may have to turn the bars up to an inch before the wheels move - Anyone have input on how to fix this?

Keep in mind these are items from experiences of racing the sportsman platform that were inherited by the Scrambler. As a base trail machine it's a great platform. However GNCC racing will fatigue items beyond most even recognise and the machine will be ridden harder than you could think imagined - not abused or beaten but ridden to the suspension & engines full potential which many of us including myself cannot replicate while trail riding..

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
XC4 - Yes I have spoken with Tim and he gave me a bunch of valuable information.

Polarmud - thanks for the link to the steering mod!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I plan to go to a few GNCCs. Right now I am building this scrambler to see its capabilities. It's getting delivered at end of month so just doing research on items that need addressed. Is there another forum that members are more performance savvy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
polaris pro is the best for tech, it has been very slow of late but it is the best. best of luck next year, hope polaris is giving you some help

·
Registered
102 Posts
think its great that polaris will be competing with the scrambler,,,would like to see other manufacturers follow,,,but what class will the scrambler be in ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
think its great that polaris will be competing with the scrambler,,,would like to see other manufacturers follow,,,but what class will the scrambler be in ?
u2, polaris is not in as a manufacturer, this is as far as i know a privateer program by cecco and his sponsors
it is nice to see a polaris again after rath stoped his sportsman effort. as of last yr only dalton williams and i were the only polaris entries full time in gncc

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
This is my deal and no support from Polaris..

I have built several Can Am's for customers all over the USA (including Hawaii) to have as trail quads. I have had a few ask about the Scrambler and I had no answer so I figured what better way to educate myself then to build it, break it, build it stronger on my dime..

I was impressed with how fast Tim Farr rose to the top with the new Scrambler however he took a deal with Can Am to drive the Maverick SxS in the GNCC's so the Scrambler project was dropped..

I am looking to see what I can do with it and of course what I can do to help solve some of the problems we have with the platform.

So far: (8) Chromoly A-arm kit stock width with fronts having a gull wing lower arm design to increase ground clearance.. These will replace the factory arms 100% for around $800. Seems like alot but they will be at least 300% stronger for almost same price as stock...

Next - Bolt on Gusset kit... I want to design it so that it will be a modular kit where you can add to it as needed.. The main areas of focus right now are to replace the existing cast pieces used for engine and cvt cover removal.. Next will be the lower a-arms, upper a-arms etc... I really want to try and make this as easy as possible to upgrade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rick, it's nice to see a true racer put in the effort. I'm sure many will appreciate your time and efforts. For me with the Scram is the use of 14" wheels. Will you be seeing if there will be anyway to make 12" wheels work and stay at stock width?

·
Registered
944 Posts
GE, I'm just guessing here but I doubt 12'' wheels will work. I think 14" are used so the steering knuckle thingie will fit inside the rim aligned with it's centerline and thus reduce/eliminate bump steer. Bump steering sucks.

I've heard they were pretty successful at eliminating the bump steer.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rick, it's nice to see a true racer put in the effort. I'm sure many will appreciate your time and efforts. For me with the Scram is the use of 14" wheels. Will you be seeing if there will be anyway to make 12" wheels work and stay at stock width?
Right now I will stick with the 14" wheels......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 131 Posts