Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just bought a 1999 Polaris 400 scrambler and wondering what people think about them for trail riding? also if you can get a rack for the back and a box or something?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The old scramblers are a blast in the trails. They can get a little rough if you ride a lot of rocks or really rutted trails, but do more than fine on everything else. There are racks available for the Scramblers. Just keep an eye on eBay and pick up a used one in decent shape.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Rick Ritter used to be the man for 400 Scrambler tips and mods, company was Ritter Cycle Racing. Nit sure if he's around anymore, but they had a chain tensioner that was a must for non concentric drive Scramblers.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Riiter's website is still up and lists parts and mods for the 400s and a few things for the 500.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I thought the scramblers were made for trails an track riding....maybe not the big technical stuff an deep mud...but was designed as a trail rider....I see them on the trails alot..little screaming machines...those kids fly...big air machines...one of the kids offered me to take for a ride...but did not...to loud for me....nice machines

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also forgot to mention that you should check out the scrambler forums over at gen3usa. Quite a few knowledgable guys over there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes Rick is still in business and also gen3usa is one of my favorite websites they have all the info you could ask for :)

i would personally stay away from deep mud with ur scrammy they sink in pretty easily i try to stay away from puddles deeper than the tires

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had a 400 that was trail ported and matched to the pipe. Also had milled head and lightened flywheel. It made about 55hp at the crank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts