Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2000 500 4x4. After a few rides I noticed the cv boots and universals are shot. So I ordered two new complete shafts off eBay for it. I tore one side apart and there was no fluid in it. So I figured I would replace the seals while I was in there. How many seals are there? Are they inner strut seal, inner hub seal and o-ring on the cap? Is that all of them? Any advice on removing and replacing them? Does anybody have cross reference numbers for the seals? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Look at a microfiche expanded view of the hub. When I did hubs on my old 2001 Sportsman 500 I ordered the parts from Sanders Sporting in OK. Their price is usually 2/3 the listed microfiche price. You can make a list of the part numbers you need. Good time to check the tabs on the armature plate. There is a great video on youtube of a scrambler hub repair. I just picked up a 1999 Scrambler 500. It needed a cv boot clamp. There is almost no clearance for the clamp where it pinches together. I wound up grinding a little off the strut so the clamp could rotate without hitting anything. Not sure if the strut is the same on all of them but it is an easy fix if you have the hub out. I found over the years the Polaris hub fluid works the best. Other people swear by gear oil or transmission fluid but the Polaris fluid is affordable enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
be carefull putting strut seal in.....if you dent it or nick it it will leak. couldnt find right socket to knock it in. ended up using a old trailblazer piston I had laying around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i replaced the hub seal and o-ring on cap, but my left hub still leaks. so i figured it must be the inner seal. took off the strut and saw a tear in the rubber part of the seal. so now i have ordered the inner hub seal, any special tools or methods for removing the old seal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts