Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I just re-built my entire rear end - bearings, seals, etc.

The rear axle bearings are normal tapered roller bearings etc as you know.

The silly bike has a grease fitting right in the middle of the rear axle (as you know) and I am trying to understand what good that thing is.. the last thing you want is that rear end packed full of grease unless there is an escape route for the grease... and it seems to me that there is not...especially since when I just pumped the dang thing full... it blew one of the seals right out...

Anyone know what is going on here? Normally with normal wheel bearings and wheel seals you don't pack the whole stinkin hub full of grease... and understanding no more how this rear end is built... I dont get why it even has a zirk... Thoughts?

·
10,655 Posts
Well, if you want your bearings to be lubricated and the water to be kept pushed out rather than in you pack it full on assembly and then top it up just a slight amount with the grease gun afterwards. Then you simply put a couple pumps in it after every couple rides and it stays full of grease with a little positive pressure inside so the water stays out. Your bearings will last many years it you do this. They'll only last a couple seasons if you don't. If you pump it up too much too fast after a dry assembly the air trapped in the cavity will pop the seals out every time.
Its really not that complicated. ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply! I agree... not that complicated... but a surprisingly poor design IMHO. :) . Positive pressure is a horrible idea IMO in general... especially when the temperature of that bearing assembly (and thus the grease) will change wildly-- especially when the rear end gets submerged in water. Again IMHO... I know they pull this sort of stunt with boat trailers too . (bearing buddy) and I am not trying to start an argument here but I sure think there are better ways to design a bearing system . :) . Anyhow- thanks for helping me learn a bit more about this Polaris. All the best!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts