Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 07 Polaris scrambler 500 4x4 that is paid off. I am seeing the New scramblers the 850 and 1000. I like the fact that there is more power, however my question is are they really that much better then a 500? I do pretty much everything which is why I like the scrambler. It has an aggressive look but yet can play with utility and racing quads. I will just state ahead of time i am told I can be crazy. I will put it through deep mud, trails, snow, sand, rocks whatever is in my way and generally not at a slow speed. I am for sure not scared to air it out. My question is are the New ones worth it to get stuck into payments again or should I just stay with what I have for now and just start perforMing some mods on it. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Stick with a paid off machine. Then save up for a couple years and buy a 1000 cassssh!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I don't think the new scrammys will withstand getting sizable air. If you watch the vids of them jumping it doesn't take much air to make the suspension squat.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wouldn't buy new just for the sake of buying new. Depends if your current bike does what you want it to do. Sounds like you're pretty satisfied with it. I would think an 850 or 1000 vs. a 500 would be a pretty significant difference in ride, power, and handling. Give them a test ride and determine if it would be worth it. I'm never a fan of making payments on a toy.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
you'll never make a 500 into an 850 or 1000. If you want more power = speed, start saving up and buy one cash. don't put more money into the 500 to try to get more out of it because it will never be a big bore. If you're satisfied with your machine than be satisfied with it and enjoy it. If you're not, don't finance the new machine. Sell the current one and save up the difference for the 1000.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
an old 500 doesnt even compare to one of these new 850s or the 1000. if you have the money and want to upgrade, then do it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
ask the magic eight ball :yup:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
if you want more power and speed, sell yours and buy a new one. Only you know if it will be worth it to you. I dont know exactly what a 500 scrambler weighs, but dont expect to catch a lot of air on a new ones without some things breaking...800lb machines can only fly so well before eventually something gives. But there will be absolutely no comparison in seat of the pants feel between the old one and the new ones

·
Registered
152 Posts
personally I don't believe in financing toys, I have been in the bush towing damaged quads out in ways that make a guy sick to there stomach which is bad enough but I can't imagine doing it to something I still owe money on. I am trying hard to sell my sportsman right now as I have a Scrambler 1000 sitting at the dealer with a deposit on it holding it but I refuse to borrow even from my emergency or retirement savings to cover the difference.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
If it is not broke, then dont fix it. I have been there and done that.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Put an exhaust, open the intake and rejet that Scrammy, you will see a nice gain, then just ride what you got and enjoy no payments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts