Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I snorkeled my 850 xp an am still getting water in my belt box. When I snorkeled it I pulled the clutches off and took the back cover off and sealed the back of the pvt cover to the tranny. I have done this twice. I filled it with clean tap water tonight and I am still getting leaks. I am wondering what other people are doing to get it to seal up good. Every time I have done it I clean both sides, apply the rtv silicone to one side wait about 5-10 minutes and then put it one.

Are you guys using something other than rtv, applying a very thick bead, thin bead... Kinda at a loss, looking for any tips thanks.

Cant wait for this riding season.

·
Registered
188 Posts
On both of mine I went to a local rubber company and got a long square strip of rubber to replace the factory seal. In addition every time i take the cover off, I clean off the rtv sealant, and put a THICK bead back on it. I don't wait the time, because by the time its all applied it is ready to go on. Also I would put rtv sealant on the drain plug.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Google Polaris clutch puller. It will show you how make one. Think it is 3/4" fine thread and a 5/8 spacer.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Weasel when I did mine, I used a razor to remove all the old gray sealant off the cover and a wire brush on my dremel to clean up the back of the block/tranny surface. Then put a good size bead on the cover, mounted it and allowed the pressure while I bolted it all down to squeeze out some of the RTV. Then I took that bit that squeezed out and went around the outside of the cover fully, doing a "Z" like pattern; ensuring no gaps or bubbles. I didn't do the drain plug but that's not a bad idea actually, so I'll add that to my list for the next time I work on it.

It could be leaking where the two covers are meeting as well if that foamy seal is messed up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am wondering what other people are doing to get it to seal up good. .

Ummm. Buy a boat ?

-c
Not really sure having a boat is gonna keep my belt box sealed. Doesn't seem real helpful or to the point. Thanks for the idea I will run it past the wife.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it sealed up yesterday. I don't have the intake and outlet hoses on but it is sealed about 3/4 of the way up. That was all the water I could fit in there. I used a gasket maker called "the right stuff''. When I was searching for ideas someone mentioned this was better than rtv. This time around I applied it to the metal transmission istead of putting it on the plastic cover. I left it full of water for about 3 hours and there where no drips on the floor when I got back.

Hopefully this week I will get the outlet and intake hoses on and can test it to make sure it is leak free. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts