Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from our second trip to Moab (April 27 - May 5). Wife and I pulled the Polaris 550's out for the second year in a row.

Preparations for the second trip were much easier...knew exactly what to bring, trailer prep was much quicker, ATV's were maintenanced and ready to roll.

Told the wife to be prepared for some challenges...as last year's trip was waaaaay to easy and uneventful. Those words turned out to be spot-on. Less than two hours in to our trip the Big Block threw a check engine light. Thankfully my good friend is service manager at GM dealership. Fourteen years of ownership and I've never seen the check engine light on this truck. Stopped at O'Reilly's and rand the ODB2 scan...MAF sensor needed cleaning, and we were back on the road.

We break the drive up by staying in our neighbor's condo in Georgetown, Colorado. Next morning we were loading up the truck and prepared for the trek over the pass...and I noticed a puddle of fluid under the truck(?). Crawled around and yes, it was coming from my truck(!). A text, call and some photos to my buddy and we determined the water pump had probably took a crap. So called dealerships in Denver asking 1), could you get me in today, and 2), could you get a water-pump for a 8.1 GM V8? Emich Chevrolet in Loveland was very helpful...we were in by noon and walking out by 5:15 pm, my wallet $850 lighter, but very thankful we didn't lose another day. Dealership was awesome!!

Remainder of the drive was uneventful mechanically. Beautiful scenery.

Arriving at Moab, our AirBnB was located on road right next to Swanny City Park...and there was a car show. We had to ask police to help us get past barricades and blocked roads to our rental. He suggested we get out of town before 3 PM, the time when all the cars would leave the show and start cruising main-street. We made it out and headed to Gemini Bridges and Metal Masher...and then this...

Last year was our first big ATV trip. I started the wife off on some easier trails, built her confidence and awareness. For some stupid reason I thought Metal Masher would be a good place to start this year. Nope.

It's just the two of us and I'm pretty conservative on the trails. If the obstacle looks to much, I opt for the by-pass, or I offer to drive the wife's ATV for that part.

This section of Metal Masher was a u-shaped ledge that I was able to get up with little problem. Wife got up okay, then caught some traction on right side and pulled her ATV up causing an extreme angle. Shen panicked a little and applied throttle, pulling her further up the side...and started to tip backwards. Thankfully I was standing right there spotting and was able to grab on and holder her steady. I couldn't pull her down straight...the "slick-rock" was too tacky. So we winched her down straight.

It was definitely a pucker-moment for both of us. (continued...)

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We made it a few more obstacles up Metal Masher before deciding to turn around. Headed to the Gemini Bridges and called it quits for the day. So thankful no one was hurt. Must admit that my normally conservative riding style got a whole lot more cautious after that episode. And happy to report no additional pucker moments on this trip.

Sunday we hit it hard, Hidden Canyon Overlook, Bartlett Overlook, Bartlett Wash Road, Hidden Canyon and Tusher Tunnel. Beautiful views! Even saw a Big Horn sheep while sitting a top of the Bartlett Overlook.

Monday we hit Spike Ravine for a change-up. Some challenging spots, and reminded me of riding Colorado...lots of loose rock trails. Views were not as picturesque, but a fun trail.

Tuesday was Fins-n-Things, the only time we did a trail that we hit last year. Wife really likes this trail. Later in the day we headed to Dead Horse State park and actually rode the mountain bikes. Good time.

Wednesday was Fallen Peace Officer Trail. Another nice change up, with some great views. Weather was colder and overcast, but was managed to find a nice place out of the wind for lunch. And the sun came out, which made the wife happy.

Thursday was Flat Iron Mesa. Great views and a fun trail. Friday we headed home.

Overall we put 125+ miles on the ATV's, and 7+ on the Mountain Bikes. The trip home was just over 900 miles on the truck.

Huge thanks to Bob and everyone here for the trail suggestions, advice, wisdom and guidance. Already looking forward to our next trip to Moab! I will post pictures to my smugmug account and post a link...

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
That's a tricky little spot there in mirror gulch. Pictures don't do it justice. We always spot atv's when we climb that step. Definitely need to hit it with just a touch of momentum and a real steady throttle. Glad it worked out okay for her. Other than that, it sounds like a great riding trip. (Maybe not such a great driving trip)

Reactions: DaubsNU1

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
Very nice. Awesome pictures, awesome place! Looks like they finally made some big improvements to the parking area for Flatiron Mesa.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice. Awesome pictures, awesome place! Looks like they finally made some big improvements to the parking area for Flatiron Mesa.
Yes, you could tell they had recently done work there. It's long and not very wide, and very close to the highway. Little dicey getting on the highway...but manageable.

Wife already wants to go back...feels she has unfinished business with Metal Masher : )

Reactions: bobx2

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
It was just a wide place on the shoulder of the road on the other side of the draw when we were there. Had to ride across the bridge on the highway to access the trail head.
Did you guys go all the way to the rim on Metal Masher before you turned back? If not, it's worth the return trip for the view. We turn around there and head back since it is a lot more entertaining ride to go back than it is to continue on. It is just a rough, dusty trail for the most part after you get to the rim. It will take you to the Widow Maker eventually, which is another well known obstacle. It's a wall you can't climb with your atv, but there are some good views from there.
The Widow Maker

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, those are some intimidating pictures! And I'm guessing they don't really capture just how steep and large that obstacle is!

No, we didn't get to the rim. After the scare we went up one more obstacle, then decided to turn around. We were both still pretty shaken. Since it's just the two of us, I try to be very cautious. And when we are on the trails we rarely ever see anyone else. Normally just one other group per day.

Use the trail guide in conjunction with my Garmin Rino, and track our route entire way. If we go get lost, I can just follow my track back to truck on the Rino.

Also carry an InReach just in case.

If I ever got knocked unconscious the wife would have a difficult time navigating back to the truck and/or getting help. I've walked her through use of the Rino and InReach a few times.

I've heard waay to many horror stories, seen videos, read message board posts about accidents, getting lost, getting hurt, etc. Safety is #1 priority.

Years ago in college a guy living down the hall was in auto accident, left him paralyzed from waist down. Alcohol involved. Sadness.

And just last week read FB post from acquaintance of mine...he's a Harley guy, has been for 20+ years. He was in an accident, his Harley totaled...and I believe he's paralyzed from the waist down : (

Did I mention I'm big on safety?

All that said, I really appreciate all your advice on Moab, trails, ATV's etc. It has really helped me get these two trips lined up and good-to-go for my and my wife. Now she's saying, "Okay, we've done Moab twice. Take me to a better ATV place..." To which I reply, "I don't think there is a better ATV place."

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
Safety should be everyone's #1 priority. Unfortunately, we all know that isn't always the case. It's good to hear you two use your heads, and know when to say when.
Now, as for your wife wanting to try somewhere else to ride next time, I would suggest you look into Taylor Park, CO. My wife and I typically spend a week up there every summer. When it's 90+ degrees at home, it will be in the 70's up there. Taylor Park is at 9,400' elevation, and everything only goes up from there. Beautiful country with a few hundred miles of trails.We have done over 300 miles up there in a week before. Really no tough, technical trails, but still some of the best riding you will find anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Planning a trip to Moab in August and although I'm bringing my own equipment, I still need to rent one ATV. It looks like all the rental places have completely switched to SXS. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Planning a trip to Moab in August and although I'm bringing my own equipment, I still need to rent one ATV. It looks like all the rental places have completely switched to SXS. Am I missing something?

Nope, that's par for the course just about everywhere. You'll need to rent outside of Moab to get a standard ATV. Which way are you driving in from?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Next time you're in the Moab area, consider hitting the Book Cliffs and running the Orange Trail around 10 Mile Wash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the trail recommendations. Will be driving from Cincinnati. Picking up my son and daughter in law either in Denver or Grand Junction depending on what flights they can get from the east coast....

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
You will need a side by side to carry all the water you will need in Moab in August... :grin Seriously though, be prepared for HOT temperatures. Not only from the sun beating down on you, but the heat radiating up from the slick rock as well. It's doable, our first trip to Moab was in July (103+ temps every day), just be sure you are prepared.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You will need a side by side to carry all the water you will need in Moab in August... :grin Seriously though, be prepared for HOT temperatures. Not only from the sun beating down on you, but the heat radiating up from the slick rock as well. It's doable, our first trip to Moab was in July (103+ temps every day), just be sure you are prepared.
Concur. August in Moab will be brutal to be certain. Summer months should be spent at elevation on the Paiute, Arapeen or Gooseberry (in Utah), whereas fall/winter are Moab, San Rafael, Sand Hollow and further South!

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Bob and Jim my thoughts exactly, HOT in August!!!! Why not just rent a SxS???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts