Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Ranger 500 and the primary clutch broke, snapping/shredding the belt. Strands of the belt seem to be wedged/twisted within the secondary clutch and I cant get them out. Is there any other reason that once I take out the bolt in the secondary that it wouldn't release? Any advice on how to better extract the strands of old belt so I can get the secondary off and clean it up?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
You'll have to disassemble it to remove all the pieces.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
Anytime, good luck with it!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess this leaves me in the same predicament, the 2nd clutch seems to be just as locked on as it was prior to removing the bolt. Removing the bolt didn't seem to make any difference or gain me any ground in pulling the clutch off the shaft. I feel like it's still contacting metal when jiggling it back and forth.
If there is nothing else that could be preventing me from pulling it off, other than the bolt, I guess it's the remaining strips of the old belt. Just seems like something metal is holding it in the same place as the belt; if that makes any sense.
If it's just tightly wound belt strips, any advice on extraction? Because pulling them in any and every direction hasn't gained me any ground.

Thanks for any further insight.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
You remove the bolt holding the clutch to the shaft, remove the clutch then remove the snap ring holding the clutch together and from there disassemble - make note of the holes the spring is in as you disassemble it and mark the splines so you can assemble it in the same position prior to disassembly - if the sheaves are spread apart, the spring will be under pressure - I use a press to take pressure off the snap ring for removal and to controllably release the spring pressure.

·
10,585 Posts
I think he's saying its stuck on the shaft latebird.
If that's the case OP, screw the bolt back in but not tight. Leave it about 1/4" to 1/2" away from being tight. Pull out on the clutch with one had and whack the bolt head with a BIG hammer. Turn it about 1/4 turn and whack some more. As it starts to move out on the shaft keep loosening the bolt to maintain a small gap between the bolt head/washer and the clutch. Just keep turning and whacking and it will eventually pop right off.
Here's a video of how to do it.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
I think he's saying its stuck on the shaft latebird.
OH - OK - yeah, the hammering the bolt trick will work (I've done it), but I prefer to just use the clutch puller tool - so much faster and requires much less effort - I don't even sweat it now - if I remove the bolt and it doesn't slide off the shaft, I just grab the tool and a socket for impact tool and seconds later it's off,

BTW - I just spent 20 minutes extracting the screws that hold the buttons in the secondary of an 06 330 TB - the screw heads broke off all 3 screws - one button was rattling around, one was broke in half and the third was still in it's recess with the screw in it, but the head of the screw was rattling around with the other pieces - first time I've seen that, but fixable.

·
10,585 Posts
OH - OK - yeah, the hammering the bolt trick will work (I've done it), but I prefer to just use the clutch puller tool - so much faster and requires much less effort - I don't even sweat it now - if I remove the bolt and it doesn't slide off the shaft, I just grab the tool and a socket for impact tool and seconds later it's off,

BTW - I just spent 20 minutes extracting the screws that hold the buttons in the secondary of an 06 330 TB - the screw heads broke off all 3 screws - one button was rattling around, one was broke in half and the third was still in it's recess with the screw in it, but the head of the screw was rattling around with the other pieces - first time I've seen that, but fixable.
Yeah, I just grab my puller tool now days but I did it the old pull and whack way for years before I got one lol.
I'd say those screws were tricky. I haven't seen that happen either. I've got an old Sportsman I'll have to extract the hub cover screws on later today. Fun stuff every day lol.

·
10,585 Posts
Good! As latebird described above, you need a press or holding tool to disassemble it. It CAN be done with a good strong helper holding it but that can be tricky and a little dangerous. A holding fixture is pretty easily made to mount in a vise to release the spring pressure safely. Google it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts