Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that needs greasing like the one-way bearing? Do I need to clean it with anything? What grit sandpaper or emery cloth do I use to scuff up the sheaves? Anything else I need to check?

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Is there anything that needs greasing like the one-way bearing? Do I need to clean it with anything? What grit sandpaper or emery cloth do I use to scuff up the sheaves? Anything else I need to check?
NO GREASE!,

Blow the sheaves out with compressed air once in a while, you can wash with warm soapy water and rinse with clean water. Dry and re install.

When ''dressing'' the sheaves, I have used scotch brite. I did mine just last week with some 150 wet dry paper. Remember, your looking to add a ''tooth'' to the sheaves at 90 degrees to belt travel. Be sure you watch and get them really clean after this work. ALSO be sure you clean the cover and ducts as much as possible. Debris can be in there and can cause issue should it be dislodged and get back into the CVT. (This is mostly for a blown belt)

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
First I blow everything out with compressed air. Then I use a scotch brite pad and no residue brake cleaner. Be sure and wear a respirator and use a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors, before you blow out the dust as its quite messy.

Only thing that gets greased is the spline when you put it back on the machine. Only a dab needed.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NO GREASE!,

Blow the sheaves out with compressed air once in a while, you can wash with warm soapy water and rinse with clean water. Dry and re install.

When ''dressing'' the sheaves, I have used scotch brite. I did mine just last week with some 150 wet dry paper. Remember, your looking to add a ''tooth'' to the sheaves at 90 degrees to belt travel. Be sure you watch and get them really clean after this work. ALSO be sure you clean the cover and ducts as much as possible. Debris can be in there and can cause issue should it be dislodged and get back into the CVT. (This is mostly for a blown belt)

Good luck,
CW
Ok, I looked again and there is some kind of oily substance in the one way bearing. I've been told to get a can of graphite and spray in there, maybe that's it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First I blow everything out with compressed air. Then I use a scotch brite pad and no residue brake cleaner. Be sure and wear a respirator and use a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors, before you blow out the dust as its quite messy.

Only thing that gets greased is the spline when you put it back on the machine. Only a dab needed.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
So it's a light scuff? I've seen a video on youtube where they used an air tool to really scuff it up. It's pretty smooth to me so I'm sure it needs it. I blow it out every spring but I'm thinking about doing it more often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts