Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

Got stuck in deep snow on the weekend and just prior to getting unstuck a puff of smoke came from the right side of quad. Immediately after, in any gear and any speed, there was a lurching. I have video...if that helps I can upload it in another post.

Took the cover off of the clutches to see if the belt was slipping because it felt like it was. Belt was fine. However the secondary clutch was twitching out. Wouldn't turn freely and was like it was being caught up on something and would jerk, but never turn fully. (Also have video of this)

Took the belt off to see if it would turn without the belt but had no movement at all. Took the secondary off and the casing has no apparent cracks. Haven't opened it up yet because I need a compression tool. However, the shaft that connects the secondary to the quad isn't moving at all either. I'm not sure if it's suppose to or if it won't without the secondary attached? If it's suppose to and it isn't, I'm assuming my problem might not be the actual clutch, but something deeper.

So, does anyone know if that should be moving without the secondary installed? Or have any troubleshooting ideas for me?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts