Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a sportsman 500 2007, the other day I was on a hill and took off and there was a bang, took off, no apparent problem, 1km later belt seems to be slipping in high range, put in low range to get home, assumed belt slipping put new belt on seem okay for a couple of minutes then slipped again.
Pulled the secondary clutch apart, there did not seem to be any pretension on ramp, the three nylon button things worn out and the ramp lobes a little worn, see photos, are they too worn/ damaged can I tig weld them back in shape?

The bang noise - could that have been the ramp lobe actually riding right up over the nylon buttons - rotating 120 degrees, therefore no tension???

what are your thoughts. bike has 14500km.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Id say that's exactly what happened,helix jumped past ramps, how worn are the center bushings in this clutch, put it together, minus helix and see if there is movement between bushing and shaft, a good machine shop could build up helix, depends on how worn the rest of clutch is, are the shivs grooved?Maybe time for a different clutch, look for a Roller secondary on e-bay, much better clutch.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That helix is junk. It's been riding on metal for a while now. Minimum tout need a helix and buttons, but that depends if the clutch it's even still good.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I bet the clutch is junk too. Id get a team roller. Those button clutches only last 500 -1000 miles before they need new buttons. Polaris should drop this clutch design all together and use only rollers. Its 2014 not 1995 lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bushes and sheeves

Thanks for the feedback, faces of sheeves very good not grooved at all, bushes are good, I only use the quad poking around the farm. What type of spring and what holes do you suggest, 1,2 then 1,2,3.

I do not want to spend too much at the moment as I need need front diff and CV spines, completely stripped, any suggestions on type of diff and CV shafts?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If your spring isn't broken you shouldn't need to replace it. If you do, stock is fine unless you are looking for a change in performance. 2-2 is the stock setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys
I welded up helix, It came up really good, how much do I pretension the spring once I have lined up the splines? setting 2,2

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bet the clutch is junk too. Id get a team roller. Those button clutches only last 500 -1000 miles before they need new buttons. Polaris should drop this clutch design all together and use only rollers. Its 2014 not 1995 lol
Hi Thomas,

I've read about upgrading the secondary to a team roller but cannot seem to find compatibility information.

I'm just trying to squeeze some more performance out of my 2012 Sportsman 500 HO NON EBS and wondered if you knew what secondary team roller clutches would be work on mine.

One post I saw said anything that is 2005 + and HAS EBS will work on mine and give me the benefit of a team roller...

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You are correct. Any 500 with EBS from any year well bolt right up. The 05+ uses a different primary clutch with a smaller bearing in it that gives a lower starting gear ratio for the belt. The only real gain to the roller secondary is durability over wearing out buttons, and a little another shifting of the clutches. won't notice any significant gains.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts