Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi having problems with my Explorer 500 selecting gears while the engine is at idle! stop the motor its fine.With the clutch cover off i can see the secondary still rotating and i can stop it quite easily with my hand. Slowing down the idle wont help seem like it need some more resistance in the transmission any ideas.
20200504_130539_1.gif
20200504_130539_3.gif

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Check the bearing on the drive clutch shaft?

·
Premium Member
9,727 Posts
what im not liking is the play in the primary. seems to me the spring isn't keeping it open all the way and when the motor is running its engaging the belt to much.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi bp405 i have not had a polaris clutch apart before so i guess i need to tear down and check the spring is still in spec at the moment i don't have the tool to pull the clutch so i will have to make one soon as i get a chance cheers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi bp405 i have not had a polaris clutch apart before so i guess i need to tear down and check the spring is still in spec at the moment i don't have the tool to pull the clutch so i will have to make one soon as i get a chance cheers.
You don’t need the puller to check the spring on the primary. Just remove the centre bolt then the 6 bolts on the cover and the spring is accessible. Make sure you mark the cover with the rest of the assembly so that it goes back together in the same orientation as they are balanced from the factory.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok removed the spring it's good and free length on spec also removed one weight not so good! badly worn weight and bolt.
IMG_20200506_44132.jpg
IMG_20200506_31883.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow that isn’t good. Might as well remove the other two and see if they have the same problem. Will definitely need new weights and bolts. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can shed some light into the cause of that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The price of parts for Polaris is a set back 3x bolts 3x weights 3x rollers with postage almost $400 bucks and most parts are out of stock Australia so need to come from the US just taken almost 2 month to get 3 seals from the US i will have to find another way to repair.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Take a look on EBAY. Or give Ryan at RVS Performance a call.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks i ended up making new grade 8 bolts, than weighed them as units weight, bolt & nut all that part now seems good but didn't help the secondary still turning there is no resistance and just the belts own weight resting on the shaft make it turn. Anyone know what grade oil goes in the trans the manual don't say i was thinking to replace it with a GL5 90 oil our weather is much hotter than a lot of your's so can maybe go heavier grade to give some more resistance on the secondary what you think.
IMG_20200507_2937.jpg
IMG_20200507_20118.jpg
20200507_155131_2.gif

·
Registered
253 Posts
Secondary is supposed to free spin like that. With the belt on and the machine running does it spin while in park? Polaris AGL is the fluid you need. There are numerous threads that discuss alternatives if your interested in reading about them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
One thing you may want to check is the alignment of the primary and secondary clutches. First, there are shims behind the secondary that that place it a specific distance out from the gearbox body. If it’s in too far or out too far, the edge of the belt will have too much friction, and this problem could be the result. There’s a tool available that supposedly helps you set this correctly, but I don’t have it. I usually just add and remove shims, then just put it back together and try it. Somewhere between 0 and 3 shims usually does the trick. Next, if someone has had the engine or gearbox out of the ATV, they may have canted one or the other slightly when re-installing, and that slight angle could cause enough friction to make this problem happen. You should be able to use a long ruler to ensure that the primary and secondary align in a straight line to check this. Lastly, a poor quality aftermarket belt could cause this. It might be slightly too short and cause too much friction. BTW, new Chinese primary clutches are available on eBay for about $115. I’ve replaced two of mine with these and they work fine so far.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks micoviso that will be my job for today to check the alignment lets hope this works i know its going to be something simple that's not right. The belt is oem but is due for replacement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update to my problem never fixed it but i shimmed the secondary and it improved it but could not get the secondary to stop spinning so i just hold pressure on the shifter till it stops spinning and engages thanks for all your input.

·
Premium Member
9,727 Posts
doesnt have to be stationary necessarily. it just cant spin so fast that its to hard to shift. maybe it'll take one more shim.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi bp405 i have shimmed it to far and come back to the best position its now just the weight of the belt resting on the shaft that keeps it turning if the secondary had any resistance it would be fine may try a heavier oil may help but its a lot better than it was i can live with it now cheers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts