Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...don't know what happened, but when I removed the secondary (driven) clutch on my 2001 Sportsman 500 HO, the two big plates on the clutch got "stuck" together...and I can't figure out how to separate them (so that there's space for the belt in between the two plates). It seems like there's a trick to aligning the plates...maybe by using the four drill holes located on the edges of each plate...so that they can be separated enough to allow space for the belt that runs between the primary and secondary clutches? Would greatly appreciate help figuring this out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What about if the driven clutch is put on incorrectly? The grooves were not properly aligned and now it is stuck halfway on. Can't figure out how to get it off or on.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
There shouldn't be that much holding it in place unless you took a bfh to drive it on. Sharp yank and it should come off. otherwise careful use of pry bars on the back side should get it freed up. The Secondary clutch just slides on the splined shaft.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Like what was said above, loosen the center bolt and you can easily slide the secondary clutch pulley off the spline. If it's hard to slide it off, lube the shaft with anti seize before you re-install.
The clutch sheaves (plates) will move together a bit more when the belt isn't there due to spring tension.....normal. When putting the belt back on , you have to try and press the belt between the sheaves as you roll it around the pulley. Put the belt around the primary clutch first of course. It's takes some effort.
The easiest way I've found to do it is to remove the primary clutch, put the belt around the secondary and squeeze the belt on the primary clutch side and force the belt into the secondary clutch sheaves. Once you spread the secondary sheaves a little, re-install the primary clutch with the belt on the pulley. You need to give yourself some belt slack to be able to get the primary back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts