Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the forums, if there's already a post on this please direct me there.

I have a 2005 sportsman 400. went to start it up for the first time this season and heard something wrong in the clutch housing. pulled the cover off expecting the belt to be bad but it was in perfect shape, just replaced it 2 years ago. upon inspection i found the rattling coming from inside the secondary or driven clutch. pulled it off and opened it up to find that the buttons as they're called were all broken and pieces were loose. went to my local dealer and got replacements. after putting everything back together i have the problem of the belt slipping when i try to drive.

do you think i put something together wrong? or what could be going on? before disassembling it drove fine with the exception of the rattling.

appreciate any help

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You probably didn't pre tension the spring when putting it back together. Very common mistake. Need to rotate the back sheave about 1/3 turn ccw before pushing the helix all the way down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably didn't pre tension the spring when putting it back together. Very common mistake. Need to rotate the back sheave about 1/3 turn ccw before pushing the helix all the way down.
I'll give this a try tomorrow. I was concerned when putting it back together the placement of the spring as I didn't pay attention to which of the 3 holes in the sheave the spring was placed in.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Normally 2 and 2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts