Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has did the secondary rollers upgrade has square pucks will destroy the secondary . The second pictures shows what will happen to the secondary. You can get the rollers upgrade form eBay or Hunterworks. I got mine from eBay (same rollers) has because only need 2 , with Hunterworks you have to buy 4.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I put them in mine, wish I would have known about them and did them sooner. Like a lot of parts on my 1000 the secondary was already worn from the square pucks. Currently looking for a replacement. BUT I am paying to PLAY:grin

·
10,685 Posts
I put them in mine, wish I would have known about them and did them sooner. Like a lot of parts on my 1000 the secondary was already worn from the square pucks. Currently looking for a replacement. BUT I am paying to PLAY:grin
Me too Rutcutter. Just ordered a set.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmm I didn't realize that this was a thing, not sure what year your machine is but are they still putting the square bushings in the secondary?

·
10,685 Posts
Hmm I didn't realize that this was a thing, not sure what year your machine is but are they still putting the square bushings in the secondary?
I didn't realize it was a thing either Dave till I saw this thread. Up through 2020 has the square pucks. I figure $30 for rollers is probably cheap insurance if the pucks wear the clutch like that. I'll put them in when I do my next regular clutch inspection and servicing.
It'll probably be about time to freshen the primary by then anyway.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is a 2018 Sportsman 1000XP the years that have the square pucks is 2017-2020 but the older models even ones rollers fails from flat spots. The eBay or Hunterworks is better and will not flat spot. The picture is what mine look like with only about 3 miles on it. I replaced them has soon as I could has the Hunterworks video said that unreairable damage occurs immediately.

Attachments

·
10,685 Posts
Mine is a 2018 Sportsman 1000XP the years that have the square pucks is 2017-2020 but the older models even ones rollers fails from flat spots. The eBay or Hunterworks is better and will not flat spot. The picture is what mine look like with only about 3 miles on it. I replaced them has soon as I could has the Hunterworks video said that unreairable damage occurs immediately.
LOL... Well, I've already got 2200 miles on my 2018 and didn't measure any damage or excessive wear of the secondary while servicing and inspecting the clutches at 1200 miles. I'll be doing the next clutch service at around 2500 so we'll see. I may just put the rollers in a brand new clutch if there is damage I guess.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL... Well, I've already got 2200 miles on my 2018 and didn't measure any damage or excessive wear of the secondary while servicing and inspecting the clutches at 1200 miles. I'll be doing the next clutch service at around 2500 so we'll see. I may just put the rollers in a brand new clutch if there is damage I guess.
Check out CW Hobbies (Secondary needs replaced,2017 Sportsman XP 1000) his is trash in about 1500 miles.

·
10,685 Posts
Check out CW Hobbies (Secondary needs replaced,2017 Sportsman XP 1000) his is trash in about 1500 miles.
Yeah, severely worn alright. Clutches and inside the cover looks REALLY dirty to me. I'd say that's a big factor in explaining the super fast wear he experienced. I take care of my clutches and am not really all that worried about it. I'll either put the rollers in the OEM clutch at the next service interval or put them in the new clutch I replace it with. That's just part of the cost of riding. Mine were still well within spec at 1200 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just pulled cover off to take a look at mine .I have over 2000 miles on mine and it looks like new , I ride 2 up alot and also beat the shit out of it in deep snow , just got back from Oregon dunes where I blew my belt the last hour of 4 dunes days. I expected to up grade to the round sliders but I'm just gonna leave it alone. I think a lot has to do with the grit that can get into the housing. Cheers

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I just pulled cover off to take a look at mine .I have over 2000 miles on mine and it looks like new , I ride 2 up alot and also beat the shit out of it in deep snow , just got back from Oregon dunes where I blew my belt the last hour of 4 dunes days. I expected to up grade to the round sliders but I'm just gonna leave it alone. I think a lot has to do with the grit that can get into the housing. Cheers
I think a lot of the wear on my clutch from the square slides came from the the very dusty conditions here in Utah. Though my clutch did have major wear like in the pictures posted I didn't end up replacing it. I milled the worn area back to flat and installed the round rollers. I haven't noticed any clatter from the clutch. It runs very smooth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Copy that rutcutter. I was informed by a good popo mechanic that Polaris went to the square sliders because the round ones in the big power machines wore out too quick - go figure.

·
10,685 Posts
Update: Just got done servicing my 1000 clutches for Colorado. Disassembled, cleaned, inspected and deglazed both clutches. Installed high altitude shift weights in the primary just out of curiosity to see what difference they make up on the Divide. They're basically just a slightly different profile cut and 2 grams lighter. Stock is 23-62G and the HA weights are 24-60G. Still not much wear on my secondary sliders at 3000 miles but since I already had the Hunterworks rollers on the shelf they got installed while I had it apart.
Most of the Teflon coating is gone on the primary cover bearing so I'll be ordering parts and do a complete rebuild of the primary when I get back with an additional 700+ miles on it. Around 4000 miles of hard riding without any problems is pretty good service for clutches on a 90 HP machine I think.
A new Gates belt and clutch cover seal completed the job. Took it for a quick spin around the farm and upshift/downshift seems to be much smoother with the Hunterworks secondary rollers installed. The lighter HA weights also seem to give it a little more immediate punch off the bottom and a little quicker reving on takeoff. I'm very pleased with it for now but I'll know more after a few hundred miles in the high mountains. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts