Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sportsman xp 850 H.O. W/ EPS. Lately i have noticed that my gauges stay on while the key is off and the kill switch is engaged. I woke up one nigh,t got some water, and noticed my gauges and tail lights were all on. No key in the ignition and the kill switch engaged.

The gauges will flash and the fuel bar flashes and disappears. Park will say neutral with key on and then with key off ( gauges still on......somehow) it says park again.

The only thing I have changed on the machine is the front differential. I switched it from a sportsman with ADC to a 2013 Scrambler without ADC. The engine code that appears says ADC Offline, as it should....it's not there. The diff plug on the sportsman is a 4 prong and on the scrambler diff it is a 2 prong. The two open prongs causing this problem???

My EPS is jacked too. If you jerk the bars one way sharply the EPS light on the gauge flashes and I lose power stearing

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
No Key & Power on..... sounds like ECM to me! But could be a short, but I'd bank on the ol' brain box!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have you tried unplugging your ignition switch?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
From everything thing I've read in the electronics of this machine. Everything is controlled by adding or removing a ground signal. I would start disconnecting one thing at a time till you find where the feed back is originating. I would start with the body control relay. Check the bottom of the fuse box. Sometime a wire will break loose and touch another causing feed back . Just some ideas

It's just a thang

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes , Polaris does some weird stuff. they run alot of npn instead of pnp.. npn they switch the the negative .. pnp is positive switching..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MY EPS is what is causing it. when the EPS fuse is in the bike runs by itself turns the electronics on when it wants and the power steering knocks. I pull the EPS fuse and all the problems with staying on and not turning off go away....i just dont have any powersteering then...I unplugged the eps plugs one at a time as the machine was malfunctioning...no change. I pulled ever connection and fuse on the machine while the machine was malfunctioning. The only way i made it act right was when i pulled the EPS Fuse...the problem is between my EPS fuse and ECM

·
Registered
417 Posts
Looking at the wiring diagram, what happens when you pull the eps relay? It's located under the left fender and they will and do hold water and rust out . Sounds like it's shorting too ground. I'm willing to bet a cold beer that's your problem.

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Sounds like you found the problem. On a side note for the adc code, maybe the dealer could reflash your ecm to be a scrambler. Then it wouldn't be looking for it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The ADC coil is 12ohms, you could always throw a resister in there.

12 850EPS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts