Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow mud heads. New guy with a Q...I've got a 2009 Sportsman 400 and it is becoming hard to shift it into and out of forward and reverse. It's got less than 25 hours on it and that is mostly just bird hunting with some trail riding, nothing real strenuous. Just trying to find out if there is an easy adjustment or if I need to bring it in to a shop.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Generally inline shift pattern models will become hard shift due to clutch mis-alignment, causing the belt to drag on one of the sheeves.

As it engages the gears does the quad jerk slightly or creep?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd bet a clutch allignment would solve your problem..... but I'd check the cheap fix first. Being that the idle may be se to high.... what rpm does it idle at?

I know the idle rpm on my 2005 400 (425cc) should be 1100 +/- 200 rpm's after wamed up. I believe this figure to be true for the 2004-2006 400/450/500 model machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check the exact RPM, but it didn't seem to be idling any higher than before. Even warmed up. So, I'm sure it's not going to be the easy fix. That's not my luck. I'm assuming the cluth alignment takes more than just a few screw turns from the outside?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Correct, No "Easy Fix".... you'd need to pull the floor board, clutch cover, pull the secondary to adjust shims (to allign). Not to mention you'll need the allignment tool.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
So what I hear you saying is "take it to the dealer".....:)
If that's what you heard me say / interpreted it as / prefer to do.... than yes :D

It could be an idle issue, clutch problem or broken motor mounts.
True, but for all of those possible issues you'll still need the alignment tool and then some (specialty clutch disassembly tools). Or it could even be multiple minor issues of the above compiled together.... won't know until it's open for a look-see. :dunno: It could even be as simple as needing a new belt!! I was trying to start simple :D

It could also be a new or different drive belt for that matter.... but unlikely if it only has 25 hours and has been owned since day one by same party. It was not stated this has been changed.

I think I'd tackle them in this order.....

1) Check idle rpm, adjust if needed. (Easiest, don't need to pull anything apart)
2) Check for broken motor, replace if needed. (Next easiest....)
3) Check clutch aignment, adjust if needed. (Pull the floor board, cvt cover, neet tools..... you get the idea!)
4) Check for further clutch issues, clean/rebuild if needed. (More of the last plus additional tools....)

Good Luck, let us know what the final cure is!

My 400 does this ever so slightly also..... idle wasn't my cure. Shifts fine while engine is not running, guessing it's an alignment issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts