Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older trail boss with the slide shifter on the right hand side (i.e. not the 'joystick' looking type of the newer models).

I also have a snowplow and winch. Seems like it would be a lot more handy , comfortable , and possibly safer if the shift handle was modified so it was longer (come up closer to operator) and possibly add on the winch control so you can operate tranny and winch with one hand (while keeping other hand on the left handle bar with access to the brake). might even be a 'removable' mod that you somehow slip on / bolt on only in the winter when plowing.

Just wondering if anyone else has considered this, OR , better yet done something already??

·
Registered
176 Posts
hmmm. that sounds inventive! Never seen that before. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I personally find that using my winch dingle in my left hand is the best approach for me. That way if I need to get off the quad and clear some snow from my fairlead that I can still operate it from beside the quad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would think you would want it on left hand, because brake lever is also there and right hand would be on throttle. I would actually like the shifter down by right foot so you can shift from forward to reverse & not move hands from handlebars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
IMO you should have your winch control on the left so that you don't have to let off the gas to feather the plow height while plowing. This will also come into play if you get stuck and to winch yourself free and use a alittle engine power to assist. Jusy my humble opinion though and do what you feel is most comfortable for you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would think you would want it on left hand, because brake lever is also there and right hand would be on throttle. I would actually like the shifter down by right foot so you can shift from forward to reverse & not move hands from handlebars.
I think Polaris does this so it forces you to let off of the gas before shifting. If not, belt and clutch would be destroyed quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts