Polaris ATV Forum banner

Shifting issues! Any Advice?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  jhashey 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 and am currently having the following issues.

- Once starting it up, I can only shift into Low or reverse. High grinds and I don't force it.

- After driving for 1-2 minutes I can't shift it out of low. Usually just take my son for a lap or two around teh yard. I have to turn it off, shift, then turn it back on. It does shift while off.

Any thoughts? I use it for plowing in the winter and would like to nip this in the bug before the bad weather hits.

Thank you very much!!!

#3 ·
Dido.... idleing to high or shift linkage needs adjustment. I'd start by turning down idle screw on carb.

#4 ·
These years a also require pressing rear brake for some "gears"

Are you pressing the rear brake pedal to shift?

CW

#6 ·
Joe there is a linkage and an adjustment on the rear brake as well.

While your looking check that too. H
Too hi an idle is the common problem and the rear brake deal ended in 05 IINM so anyone not having had an older machine would not know about that.

Good luck!

CW

CW

#7 ·
Thank you very much CW! I'll pull it out this weekend.

I was searching around for a video on how to properly adjust the throttle (I have basic car/motorcycle knowledge but never worked on an ATV). I found one video but couldn't see exactly where the screw was.

Is it on the outside of the carb after I pull off a few body pieces?

Thank you kindly!

#8 ·
Every model is a little different. On my trail boss it's a big thumb screw easily accessible. From right side.

CW

#9 ·
You all were right on BUT I had an issue again :(

I found the screw, started it up and adjusted it. The engine slowed down and it shifted great.

I took two laps around the yard, stopped, shifted a few times and it all went great.

When I pulled back in the engine the RPMS were again high. I went to adjust the screw again but this it wouldn't slow down. I loosened it until it felt like it was going to fall out but the RMPS didn't change.

Any suggestions?? Thank you!

#10 ·
AAH... Turnin' it OUT will RAISE rpms... You want to screw it IN and it cuts fuel flow or slows IE LOWERS RPMs... ;)

If its changing on you, its moving under vibrations.

CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.