Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm new here, I have never owned a quad before and obviously need some help.

Last week I bought a 2003 Sportsman 700 from a military surplus sale. There were no docs with the quad at all. Hell I had to scour the internet just to see what I had. The quad runs great. The 4WD, and winch are solid, just a couple issues listed below. Cosmetically it's kinda rough, but with some paint, (and the camo gorilla tape) it should be a pretty nice hunting / utility vehicle to have. At $1500.00 I believe I got a pretty good deal.

The bellcrank was stripped so someone attempted to make one out of metal. (Fail) so the new bellcrank arrived today I put it on and I am still having problems shifting while it's running. N to L or N to R seems okay but from either gear to Neutral I have to turn the engine off before I can shift.

Also it will not shift into Hi. It's almost feels like there is no gear above Low. I adjusted the linkage since the shift lever was all the way forward in low. That didn't help at all.

Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
higher Rpm make it hard to shift. Does it shift okay when off?

I would also make sure the adjustment on the shift linkage is adjusted properly. Make sure your bell crank is in the right spot. One or two notches off and its not going to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Seems to shift fine when it's off aside from the fact that I can't get it in to high gear. Tried to depress the foot brake and shift in to high gear with no luck.

As for the position of the bell crank... Well not sure exactly what position it should be in. Of course it doesn't help that the make shift bell crank they put on kinda jacked the teeth on the gear.

Also not sure where I need to look to adjust the rpm. I would certainly adjust it down to test that theory.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Generally speaking Rpm should be between 1050 and 1200 give or take. If it is revving too high the clutches start to engage and start spinning making a shift difficult.

With it off, remove the shift linkage and see if it goes into each gear. If it locks into place firmly then the bell crank is in the wrong place and will have to be adjusted to get the proper throw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure this is an efi model. From what I have read the idle is adjusted on the cable going to the throttle lever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts