Polaris ATV Forum banner

Shifting to revers

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  blueline15 
#1 ·
First off hello everyone been looking for this site glad ti finally find it.
problem with my 800 sportsman is when wanting to shift to reverse it will not engage all the time somtimes it works good for a few shifts. when it does not I either have to rock it backwards (witch is not easy when stuck deep LOL)or shut it off for it to engage.I have pulled the cover off the side where the linkage is and all points are lined up,this bike has a clutch kit installed and it was installed when I bought it could that be the reason for this problem maby just take it out and try a differnt one?
Thanks in advace
Messinaround

#3 ·
shouldnt be the issue unless it isnt tuned right or installed right. i would get your belt tension checked out. had a few sportsmans come through our shop because they couldnt shift it into reverse without rocking it or turning the unit off and it was because belt tension was too tight. a pretty simple fix for a dealer 60 mins is normally all it takes

#5 ·
im not sharp on having to do the belt adjustment. you sound like you would be able to, our mechanic was able do it with basic tools that i know of, i but was too busy at the parts counter to really get to watch what he did. im sure in a service manual it would explain how to do it

#8 ·
just the primary should be turning. it should be fully disengaged from the belt. once the secondary starts turning, your wheels are going to start to turn too. im only a parts guy so i dunno where the adjustment is, but it should be on the primary. any service manual either oem or aftermarket should explain in detail and with pictures how to do this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.