Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I have a 2006 Sportsman 700 twin On Demand AWD. Starts up fine. However when put into gear (Reverse, Low, High) it doesnt move forward 70% of the time. And when it does move forward it barely does(2-3mph) as well as I hear a clinking noise and it abruptly stops. Almost like someone forced shifted into park. The engine can still rev, but it wont go. It sometimes is hard to shift out of whatever gear it was in and I have to move the atv back and forth manually to shift it out of gear into neutral. When I put it in neutral to push it, sometimes it sounds fine other times I hear that clinking noise and it feels like it jams and stops.

Sorry hopefully that makes some kind of sense.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Your drive belt is broken.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Start by pulling the belt cover and checking/cleaning the clutches. And check the belt for wear. Could be a clutch , belt or transmission issue but start with the easiest first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Yup pop the clutch cover and have a look-see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:
So I took off the drive belt cover; the drive belt looked to be good condition. Clutch assembly checked out as well. I started the atv with cover off and put it into gear and noticed the secondary drive pulley(the one on the right) was siezing up causing the belt to slip and the atv not move. I had to shake the atv to get it unstuck and take it out of the gear it was stuck in (during this sounded like gear skipping inside). Tried the above a second time, but this time before I shook it back and forth to unstick it; I attempted to rotate the secondary drive pulley by and it was seized. Again I can get it unsiezed by shaking the atv back and forth and I can rotate it by hand again. When it is siezed I cant even move the atv in Neutral, unless I shake the atv back n' forward.

What do you guys think?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts