Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a best setting for the shocks on a 550 for plowing? I have a 60" warn county plow and all 4 shock at there tightest setting. I was thinking of loosening the rear shocks a bit to get more traction to the rear tires because of the weight of the plow.

where do you run yours? BTW I'm only 160lbs if that matters.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
When you lift the plow, does your nose sag?

Biggest thing you need to worry about os having weight on the rear, you will run out of traction before you run out of power.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that why I wondered if loosening up the springs on the rear would place more weight to the rear

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Mine is set up with the front on the stiffest setting, the rears are set in the middle. Works perfect for me. no issues with traction, and I am still running the stock tires. Remember you should plow in low unless you have a long run and can get your speed up.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to play with it and see what works best.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So how do you adjust a shock? Put a warn pro vantage plow on today front mount and when I lift the plow it drops at least 4 inches new to ATVs any help would be great thanks bear lake

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if it's an XP there is a collar right under the spring that you turn with the spanner wrench that is in your tool kit. Much easier to turn if you jack it up.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Its the 2013 sportsman 500 ho touring
You will only have adjustment on the rear shocks on your machine.
The owners manual will have instructions.

Im sorry just noticed you have the touring, i'm not sure if you have front adjustment but that will be in the manual. Im sure sobody will chime in and confirm it for sure.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
So how do you adjust a shock? Put a warn pro vantage plow on today front mount and when I lift the plow it drops at least 4 inches new to ATVs any help would be great thanks bear lake
Four inches? With a machine that new it should not drop 4 inches. Mine only drops about 1/2 inch and I thought that was alot.

One of things many do not consider when they must have a "Heavy Duty" plow is that heavy duty simply means HEAVY. Unless you are plowing rocks do not fall for all the heavy duty hype. You must take into consideration the weight of the blade, the push tube and mount, also the winch hanging on the front end.

If it is dropping 4 inches you may want to get some heavy duty springs. Sounds like you have way to much weight hanging off the front end.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so, whats some of the problems that could happen if it drops that far? I have the 60" Warn county tapered plow and mine drops quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't think it will cause any problems and long as the down tubes are not dragging on the ground. However it will shorten the life of the OEM springs and possibly the shocks/struts.

I agree with Will.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how much of a drop would you expect? I mean we are putting something rather heavy on the front.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Went out and measured it. It is 2 inches (I was on the machine this time) about 3 inches when not on it got the warn set up for the bucket attachment that can be added on for moving mulch and some top soil in the spring. Just wondering if I could improve on the strength of the front end without getting new springs. I have the 54 inch blade with the push bar weights est. 140lbs.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the only thing I know to do is the HD springs

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well two inches is much better than four inches. It still seems a little to much.
I would expect 1 inch drop with you on the machine, that weight is distributed to both axles, unlike the weight of the plow.

I also went out and and put the blade on and measured mine. Just adding the weight of the blade dropped the front end less that an inch. I have the SP 550.
It may have heavier springs than your, they are OEM.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is your plow center or front mount? Do you have and est. Weigh? Of that glacier ? Might check into HD springs any suggestions on type or where to order? Thanks Paul

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my plow is a front mount warn county tapered plow. Biggest they make to my knowledge. I will measure the drop tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts