Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about shocks but i wanted to upgrade the stock Fox podiums but I'm not sure if they are the same as the podium X. Is the only difference the high and low speed compression setting or is there more internal differences.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I race my Scrambler in a local XC series. The first thing I wanted to do to my Scrambler was upgrade the shocks. I took the whole quad to my shock guy so he could take measurements and revalve and respring the shocks for me. He got the shocks apart, no problem, but when he started comparing the inside pieces, i.e. shims, valves, etc, we discovered that these are not standard Fox shocks, they are some cheap knockoff with a Fox sticker. The rod and piston are totally inadequate for anything but trail riding. The shims are nonstandard sizes so they can't be changed. All the parts inside are really just cheap junk. I was dissapointed and am currently saving for a set of aftermarket shocks.

That's my experience anyway, if you find out different, please pass it along.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I race my Scrambler in a local XC series. The first thing I wanted to do to my Scrambler was upgrade the shocks. I took the whole quad to my shock guy so he could take measurements and revalve and respring the shocks for me. He got the shocks apart, no problem, but when he started comparing the inside pieces, i.e. shims, valves, etc, we discovered that these are not standard Fox shocks, they are some cheap knockoff with a Fox sticker. The rod and piston are totally inadequate for anything but trail riding. The shims are nonstandard sizes so they can't be changed. All the parts inside are really just cheap junk. I was dissapointed and am currently saving for a set of aftermarket shocks.

That's really interesting I never gave it much thought. Just how much better would an upgrade in after market shocks be from what came on my 550xp. My riding is mostly tight trails with a fast fire road connector and occasional rock crawl. Would better shocks keep the beverages from foaming as bad?

·
Premium Member
11,342 Posts

That's interesting because I noticed a piston diameter difference between a Rene xxc and scramy le on my riding buddies bikes.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Would better shocks keep the beverages from foaming as bad?
I can't really speak to the shocks on the 550XP, but the Polaris MO is for a softer ride. I imagine your shocks are many times softer than a comparable machine by a Japanese manufacturer. With that being said, if you ride in a spirited way much of the time then you would likely benefit from aftermarket shocks. If you usually have a drink in the cupholder, then likely not.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Would better shocks keep the beverages from foaming as bad?
I can't really speak to the shocks on the 550XP, but the Polaris MO is for a softer ride. I imagine your shocks are many times softer than a comparable machine by a Japanese manufacturer. With that being said, if you ride in a spirited way much of the time then you would likely benefit from aftermarket shocks. If you usually have a drink in the cupholder, then likely not.
Its a bit of both not usually together. Good food for thought maybe I'll put it on my B list of wants for the future. Thanks for getting back:cowboy:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The fox shocks on the scrambler and the Rene xxc are nothing like fox podium x shocks. Much lighter build and lesser quality. I have Elka stage 2r and when u compare the build quality of them to the fox shocks on the above quads there is no contest for build quality and sturdiness.

That being said elkas will benefit u if u ride hard and fast. U will not gain much (some, but not a lot) over the normal Polaris ride or the fox equipped quads if u r a casual trail rider. Elka stage 4 if u ride hard enough as they have separate high and low speed compression adj and rebound. Having both compr adj is a big thing (if u ride hard enough). I found the limits of the stage 2r the first trip out and need to convert them to stage 4's. Shocks and tires make the biggest differences in handling than any other mods and as they say "the best suspension you know is the suspension you ride"....there is a whole other level of handling, control and comfort with custom made shocks....just depends if u want to spend the cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
222 Posts
Will probably go with elkas next summer... my front shock bushings are all loose and the shock are almost shot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the info its a big help. I race local XC and I got to try some GNCC, iI did call fox and they don't make a shock for the Scrambler yet but its in the works. But I might go custom axis cause Rick Cecco seems to be happy with his and I can get the same set up as his.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Interesting. I couldn't be happier with mine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts