Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to bring my 2 atv's out of a 2 month or so hibernation and I can't remember if I used an ethanol treatment or not when I put them in the garage...I think they have both sat for about 2 months...possibly 3...

I have an 06 Sportsman 450 and a 1999 Xplorer 300....I think I may have put some of the blue StarTron in the Sportsman...the Xplorer 300 I may not have put it in...I run the Xplorer on premix because the oil injection doesn't work....

Should I drain the tank and carbs? How hard is it to drain the carbs on either of these models? I took a quick look around and didn't see much for what I was looking for....

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
you might have to replace both batteries if they were not on tenders, and at the very least probably have to charge both.

you can always try starting them up to see how well/if they will run, but without treatment i am going bet the fuel has gunked up the carbs.

if it has, you can first try sucking the old fuel out of the tank and on the carb bowl itself, there is a small screw at the bottom of the bowl that will drain out the fuel in the bowl. drain all the crappy fuel out of the bowl and tank, fill it with fresh fuel and get it turned over a couple of times to get the fresh fuel in through the carb and see if it will fire.

if it does fire but dies when you give it throttle or still wont start then you will probably at that point need a carb clean, which will require taking the carbs off and apart, replacing jets, possibly needle and seat, ect.

i would do everything in that 3 step order. good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a go and see how they fire...I was just nervous about the ethanol separating out and burning a piston! That would pi$$ me off quick lol...

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
if you are concered it would be cheap insurance to get as much of the old stuff out as possible to put in fresh fuel...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a KLR650 that had a pretty bad hesitation after sitting all winter. I thought I was going to have to tear the carb off and clean it. It was suggested to me on another forum to run some SEAFOAM thru it before I took it apart. I was sceptical but as recommended I mixed it heavy (half can to two gallons of gas) and ran it thru. After letting it idle for a few minutes and then riding doun the street the hesitation was much less. By the time I had made it around the block the hesitation was completely gone. I run it in everything now. I was told by someone that it has stoddard solvant in it and as I remember from my early days as a janitor we used stoddard solvent to melt gum out of the carpet. If it melts chewing gum it should do wonders for the gum and varnish in carbs. Good stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard good stuff about the Seafoam as well...but I thought I read that it's not good for 2 strokes...I'll have to look into it a little bit more!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would get the old stuff out just to be safe. I've used seafoam in my sleds before and I liked the results better than stabil.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I dont have a can in front of me but I am pretty sure that I remember reading that it recommended use in 2 strokes. Suposed to clean carbs and injectors as well as take out water and act as a gas stabalizer. I have had good luck with it in my snowmachines as well as my chain saw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts