Polaris ATV Forum banner

Should I buy a 2014 Big Boss?

19K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  800bigboss 
#1 ·
I have a cabin and the only way to access it is a three mile trail which is mainly just swamps,

I want to buy a new 14 but I cannot find the tracks that go over the wheels, a buddy of mine said they do not make those any more is that true? (I don't see it worth buying the tracks that Polaris offers, they are worth half the price of the wheeler itself) Is it worth buying new to break in the wheeler myself and have the 4 year warranty on it because I plan to keep this wheeler for several years,

Would it be crazy to buy an older big boss that has the tracks I want but sacrificing a chain drive machine instead of the new shaft driven wheelers?

#3 ·
How deep of a swamp are we talking here?

#4 ·
They can range from just over the wheels to almost close to the rack if you pick the wrong path, I would always get high centered on my 04 sportmans 400 and hauling supplies in that trail usually takes me an 45 to an hour on a good trip 3 hours of bad trips hahaha I see your from kodaik I live on the kenai peninsula

#5 ·
I say save your quad money up and buy a cabin that isn't thru 3 miles of swamp.

Mud and water over your tires/rack high? The big boss will just sink, and get high centered.

#7 ·
It sounds like you would be better served by an Argo or similar amphibious off-road machine. If it's that deep, all your gear will get soaked on a quad or BigBoss...

Argo is probably going to be the best option, at least until Polaris makes a floating quad.

#8 ·
Yah, you'd think the 6x6 would be able to go places a 4x4 wouldn't. Doesn't happen, can't go places a 4x4 can. Have witnessed it first hand. Around here most people that have them are farmers and use them for field work.

#9 ·
I vote Argo as well. ATV's aren't meant to swim no matter what mudders like to tell you.

#10 ·
A co worker of mine has a cabin in the same neck of the woods and he owns an Argo and he says he's constantly doing maintenance on his Argo after each ride he didn't recommend one, he said even though it handles the mud good the maintenance doesn't seem worth it, but that is only one opinion

On another note I've seen big boss's out and driven only one once and I'm was very impressed with them that's why I was going to get one those Argos don't se that attractive to me but could be a better option

#12 ·
A 6x6 with a track kit would be sweet!

#15 ·
#16 ·
Chains will add traction, but they will also tare up the terrain you're driving over. Root damage, soil erosion, Etc. Tracks are by far a much more environmentally friendly means of adding traction.

I looked at pricing for a new Argo, and from what I saw, either way, you're waiting on your purchase because the Argo is about as much more than the Big Boss than the tracks are to add to it. and that's without Tracks on the Argo.

#17 ·
If tracks are out of the ? you could put J-Wheelz on the 6x6 :lmao:

#18 ·
Why not get a normal 4x4 and make 2 trips?! lol

Cheapest option.

2014 400ho with tracks

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
40 GRAND!!!! I didn't see a Can-Am decal on it anywhere :chairfall:

#24 ·
hahahah,

well I am going to purchase it my week off,

I never bought a new machine ever, so I never broke in a motor before... is the dealership going to give me directions how to properly break her in or should I just read some info about breaking in wheelers on my own? I probably could find a topic about breaking new machines in eh?

#25 ·
Well, That is the million $$$ question..

Some will say "follow the owners manual to the tee".
Some will say break it in as you would use it.
Some will say to vary the throttle never hitting WOT for more then a few seconds,if that at all.
Some will say "balls to the wall and ride it like you stole it"
And you can read this make your own decision.
Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Good luck!!!!!

#29 ·
nice. Hope to see pics of your swamp trip back to the cabin

#30 ·
That is sweeeet! I would like to see some pics of it on the way to your cabin as well. If it is as bad as you say it is you might want to get some different tires that can handle the swamp better.

#31 ·
X2 on new tires. and a video of the trail would be nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.