Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking at buying a 2007 sportsman 800 from a guy who’s kids sunk his ATV. He hasn’t drained any fluids and it’s been sitting for 9 months. It won’t crank but has accessory power. I have an endoscope and plan to look in the cylinders and the crank case for rust or damaged parts. I also plan to look in the differentials as well and inside the intake and exhaust. I think the reason with won’t crank is because it’s hydro locked. If that’s the case the valves could be damaged as well as anything connected to the piston. He said he’d take $1300 for it. Looking for advice on other areas to check or advice on passing on it.

He says, “I put a lot of time and money into the diff($1200 part), lift(($50),and winch($100). Tires were also $650+... I would rather keep it... but dont want to put the time in, versus buying a house for the family....”

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
If you have plenty of time, the proper tools, the knowledge and are looking for a project, then go for it - personally, I would buy one in running condition and enjoy it only repairing it when required. There is a satisfaction in a job well done, but there is a satisfaction in use of the vehicle with out excessive expense.

Just be aware that regardless of how knowledgeable or diligent you are in your inspection and anticipation of required repairs, there will be unexpected parts or repairs that will become obvious as the work progresses.

It's 13 years old and neglected - offer $500 or buy it with the intention of parting it out after you discover how bad it is. If you get lucky, it won't be as bad as it could be, but expect the worse and hope for the best. I've learned to walk away from junk - it it was worth fixing, it would have been fixed a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Ditto....if you can get it for the right price, then it could be worth it. Figure the resale value for the age and you know about how much you will have to spend to get it running. It sure isn't worth anything the way it sits. Doesn't matter how much the previous owner put into it, he let it sit after sinking without doing anything. So you can plan on rebuilding the engine for sure. If it isn't damaged from a hydrolock, then there is probably rust that needs to be dealt with. Trans and differentials could need complete rebuilds too. Probably wheel bearings, winch is most likely wasted from water damage and the list goes on. It will for sure be an extensive project. If you have the knowledge and stones for what lies ahead, go for it. But it isn't worth $1300 that's for sure.

·
10,342 Posts
To better explain... I said I might take a chance on it for $500 but I refurbish old machines a lot. If you're looking for a personal ride you may want to look elsewhere unless you just like a projects.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I’m not looking for a project just something I might be able to get up and running again really fast. Hoping for a blown fuse or just a bad starter. If I find damage or find that it needs a rebuild I’ll pass on it.

·
10,342 Posts
It might have been easily fixed if done immediately after being swamped but might not be so easy after being swamped and then sitting that long. It'd be a roll of the dice at this point.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds a lot like the one on Marketplace near me. I have an 800, so a lot of parts would transfer over if I wanted to cut losses if it was hydrolocked.

If your level of comfort in a rebuild is high, then yes, if not, project bikes are usually sold for parts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
"Thanks everyone. I’m not looking for a project just something I might be able to get up and running again really fast. Hoping for a blown fuse or just a bad starter. If I find damage or find that it needs a rebuild I’ll pass on it. "

This right here would tell me that you should look elsewhere. If you want it up and going quick, I don't think that would happen easily. If it were me tearing into it, I'd be going through the whole engine, regardless of if it runs or not. Like others have said, if it didn't sit, and was addressed immediately, you can sometimes get away with minimal repairs. I personally would be WAY to concerned about rust that formed on the internal engine parts such as the crank, valves, cam, etc. It's 100% your call, but if it were me, and I wanted it done fairly quickly, and not having a huge project on my hands, I'd look the other way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts