Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and looking at your opinions.

In 2008 I bought a brand new 2006 Browning Edition 800 off the lot loaded out with all the fun stuff that the Browning has to offer. Winch, Gun Scabbord, Heated Grips, Hand, etc. Running an open country plow as well.

Here is my question.

My 1500 mile old machine has been flawless and its mint. All highway miles driven in Quebec Bear Hunting and Hatfield MCcoy easy riding. And riding my property in Michigan.

I want a 2014 850 XP EPS in camo.

Should I sell the raspy 800 in great condition? And Upgrade to the Smoooooooth and faster 850XP?

Or keep my 8 year old machine?

I have enough money to get the XP if I sell the 800:cowboy:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
1500 miles, it is not even broke in yet! How ever the new ones are so nice.

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you got a mint machine with low miles id keep it. Just keep saving then eventually you can buy a 850 and keep the 800!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Well, you have this one all set up the way you want it. If you get a new one you'll have to do it all over again at greater expense. It's up to you. But myself....if it ain't broke why dump it? It's got low miles and has been a reliable unit. Maybe just spend a few $$ on some upgrades to the old girl. New tires can make a world of difference if you are still running the stockers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I upgrading the rear tires because I had a hole on the side of one of my stock tires. So I just bought a brand new set:veryhappy:

I'm just looking at an 8 year old machine and 2 years down the road she may only go for 3500 - 4K.

Its a tough decision...My buddy has a 99 polaris 500 and its a solid machine....

I guess the decision is good either way. To keep her or let her go.

I figure with the plow and all the extra camo gun cases she may be worth $5000+

·
Registered
450 Posts
Get the one you want. For most people, ATVs are playthings. Sure, a lot of people (myself included) use their quads to help put meat on the table (best fishing spots are always in the backwoods) but by-and-large, they're big boy toys...

If you have the money, or you can afford the payment, I say go for the one you want. Buy once, cry once. You can keep putting cash into the 800 to make it "better" for you... Or you can get the one you want and be done with it. Up to you.

·
Premium Member
10,355 Posts
sounds like u have the machine u need. its just a pup with 1500 miles on it. doesn't sound like u NEED an 850xp. but as a dude most of us want the newer better toy. that's what they are toys and if its going to put a bigger smile on ur face then do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jgcoastie

thanks for the advise.

I wonder if Polaris has a new design for 2015, I know they will probably put the 1000 in the utility vehicle, but I don't need it.

I'm going to hunt for a 850 XP Camo in year 2013 or 14. We'll see how the tax return and family finances go. If it works out I'll pull the kids around and drag out the deer with a new XP.

If not, I'll do it again in 2014 with the raspy 2006 - 800 browning edition. It's still a sweet machine. As an Engineer myself. I send a "good job" to the engineers at Polaris in Wisconsin. Good job! Good Quality and reliability.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My opinion, keep what you have.

You have thoughts to get something you think is better, but once you get it, there is always something better than that.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
here's the way I see it. If you're thinking about cheating, you might as well get out of the relationship. You know you want more, and if you can get the new machine without financing and thats what you want, why not? besides. outfitting the machine is half the fun. I doubt I'll ever buy a bike off the shop floor with all the accouterments. it's to much fun finding the stuff for each machine on it's own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts