Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should've just bought a new one...08 500 rebuild

Well this is my first build thread and im hoping that starting one will keep me motivated to get this done in a reasonable amount of time lol. A little back story, my best friend bought this 2008 sportsman 500 efi brand new, around 2010 he let our neighbor borrow for a weekend and his son ran into a light pole going pretty fast. well my buddy just parked it in a field. It sat there until I bought it from him in 2013 for $200. I wish I would've taken more pictures from the start but I didn't think id be this far into it. the wheeler got hit hard on the left front side pushing the wheel back into the footwell. I thought I could use a backhoe and a tree to straighten the frame but I just wasn't satisfied with the results.
before
after
so I bought a new frame, an a arm and shock, front plastics, front brake bracket, oil tank, front metal bumper, starter and recoil cover which someone stole, and swapped everything over last fall which gets it to this point

next paycheck is going to be used to get a new radiator and hopefully the front cargo rack and bumper. But until then im going to plastidip the plastics, updates on that later

·
Registered
114 Posts
Plasti dip is terrible on the plastics. I tried it and hated it. Impossible to clean. I recommend painting the plastics instead. Mine are painted now and it looks like a newer unit it turned out so good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats good to know about being hard to clean...im gonna give it a shot anyway just because ive already started spraying lol. What kind of paint did you use, a plastic fusion kind?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow very impressive so far. I know that kind of project is out of my ablity so its impressive to see someone take on a project like that and make it work. Keep going its looking great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes I used a paint designed for plastic. Both paint and primer were designed for plastic. The plasti dip looked good at first but after two rides it was terrible. Really wished that I had just painted it in the first place but I wanted to keep my unit black at the time because it was black from factory. After my poor results with plasti dip I knew something must be done so I tore it down again and made it blue and couldn't be happier with it.

By all means you can plasti dip yours but I thought I would share my results before you invest your time and a few cans into this project

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Looking good man, quite i project but that 500 will last you forever!

wish i could find a deal like that!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks guys for the info and kind words...right now im in it around $1100-1200...I still need a radiator,front bumper, some head lights, left front axle and I gotta tear into the front dif and check things out...I'm hoping to stay under $1800 but well see

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Looks like a hell of an accomplishment thus far..........

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Looking Good. :top: It's fun seeing a plan come together..... Can't wait to see the finished product!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good job. Hope all works out for you when your finished! !! Nice project!!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Worked on it all day today. Installed a new radiator and brake master cylinder. Bled the front brakes. And spayed 5 cans of plasti dip, still need a couple mores cans, shouldve just painted it like suggested lol but im too far into the plasti dip to go back now haha. Im hoping to have the paint done tomorrow and the plastics back on Monday. Ill post some pics tomorrow

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
welp I got my plastics painted. plastidip is an ok product if you have the patience to use it, I myself have no patience when it come to paint. I put down 9 cans of plastidip and decided I didn't need to wait the 24 hour cure time before I installed them. well I nicked them so I have some spots to touch up. but heres some pictures

I love white vehicles of you couldn't tell haha
while I was waiting on the paint to dry I decided to finish up some thing that needed to be fixed. the air inlet tube for im guessing the tranny needed a new rubber. I found a replacement at ace hardware which is the best store ever haha
heres the tube Im talking about and the clamp I couldn't get off

and heres the ace hardware plumbing special

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
also fixed my fan...the housing was cracked so I plastic epoxied it and now it spins freely but it wont kick on, the speedo will flash hot and itll never kick the fan on... im thinking it might be the ect sensor but idk for sure

took the little c clip off and removed the blades and epoxied the frame together.

also put a new radiator on...heres the old vs new

soo I took it for a test ride today and the inlaws 80 acres and even though I don't have a left front cv shaft and the housing is cracked and all the fluid has leaked out I still have 3 wheel drive haha...the plastidip held up great against the trees and the only real problem is the speedo doesn't work which I read is probly the hall effect sensor and fan doesn't kick on. im hoping my mechanical background and 5 years plus of wrenching for a living will help me finger out these little problems but if anyone has some tips to figure out these problems let me know haha thanks

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Does fan work with 12volts direct to it? if so unplug sensor on left side by thermostat, fan should come on, if not, bad sensor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah the fan works with 12v direct...I unplugged the ect sensor and the fam didn't come on...I'm going to download some schematics and try to finger it out

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Figured out the fan problem. I went to check the fan relay, it wasnt there haha the joys of buying a wrecked wheeler. Polaris wanted like $35 for the relay so i went to napa and got one for $15 and she works like a charm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts