Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Well we got about 6 inches of snow here in Nebraska. So it was time to do some sledding behind my 550. Nebraska is flat so no hills to sled down, so have to motorize the activity :)

Just curious how everyone else does it. I just bought a cheap pastic sled and nice long rope. I put my 550 in low and 4x4. I was pulling the kids, so going very slow. (less than 10 mph) Then pulled my 16 yr old brother in law, so had to go faster. I thought I had read somewhere to go 12 mph or lower while in Low gear. Thoughts on that? When pulling someone and going faster (15 to 20 mph) should I use High?

I definitely need to find a metal sled. Or use the old school inner tube method, which is my personal favorite. Also went for a scenic ride. Shouldve taken pictures...will next time for sure. It was a beautiful snow.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is anything equal to or less than 10mph... switch to low gear. And a good operating range for Low would be 0-20/25'ish mph.

Just get a long enough rope..... so know one kisses the rear end of your machine with their face, upon stopping. And it may be a good idea to also turn either left or right when stopping to help prevent any accidents like this.

Also be sure to use a good quality rope..... so know one gets a whip to the face or chest if it were to break or come loose suddenly.

This can be fun, but very dangerous also.

Enjoy and be safe!!

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
Low was a good idea for the young kids, but for anyone else, nothing but high if you want to give them a good ride. I would assume you have taken into account the risks involved in having this kind of fun. Let'er rip and have fun!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I wish I could get my wife behind the ATV on a sled, but for some reason she does not trust me :inv:

·
Registered
679 Posts
We call it hookyboppin'. Either behind a truck, wheeler, whatever. We use snowboards, skis, sleds, big boots! When I lived in Tahoe, there would be so much snow it was like a half pipe going down the road, awesome! In California though, cops didn't really appreciate it, we got lots of tickets when they caught us.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Get a two man inflatable raft, tow strap, Low gear, and watch the kids smile. (Raft will only last a few times, but worth the thirty bucks)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. ZTMAN, I agree the raft/inner tube is the best. But correct, they usually dont last long.

Never heard it called hookyboppin, but I like it! The kids were all smiles. I remember my old man pulling me behind a Kawi Bayou when I was a kid. Fun times. But yes, can be dangerous. My 5 year old daughter had a perma-smile. She can be a little timid, so straight line and 5-10 mph for her and nice easy turns. The 16 yr old was a different story. And my wife will pull me, but won't let me pull her unless one of the kids is riding with her. Almost like she doesnt trust me either!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Years ago, like over 35, dad used to pull us around behind the station wagon in the high school parking lot! That was a blast! Would go to jail if you did that today.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Also, you got to watch slingshot-ing them around sideways cuz sometimes it can slam them into an object off to the side, not seen by the driver.

This happen to a tuber behind a boat. She slammed into a dock, never to walk again.

Just a heads up.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Also, you got to watch slingshot-ing them around sideways cuz sometimes it can slam them into an object off to the side, not seen by the driver.

This happen to a tuber behind a boat. She slammed into a dock, never to walk again.

Just a heads up.
Very true........

·
Registered
806 Posts
We use low range and typically keep it under 15-20 mph. We use truck and car rubber inner tubes. I wrap an old towel on the tube where the rope is tied to it. I get about 2-3 seasons out of an inner tube this way. Of course as already mentioned, be careful, use a long enough rope etc, etc.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
We do this all the time on Lake Winnipeg with an inner tube or sometimes a pair of ski's Helmets are mandatory and fun is inevitable.

·
Super Moderator
7,088 Posts
Snow is fun. Not so sure about doing it this way...

·
Registered
450 Posts
My wife would never sign off on pulling a sled behind my quad with any of the kids or her in it… But I don't think it would be too hard to build something that would work well and last a long time.

A sheet of 3/16" aluminum plate, about 10 feet of square aluminum tubing would do the trick for less than $200. You could probably find everything you need at a junkyard. You could even make a "roll cage" over the top out of 1" round tubing. Put a slight rising angle on the front and a shackle to hook the rope to and you're in business. Obviously helmets are a must.

Yeah, it would be a little on the heavy side, but not too bad.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yeah, the only thing kids get towed behind is the mower with the deck off and the yard cart attached. The wife would never OK anything else. especially where we live. to many things to run into.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
We always used a steerable sled. The ones with two ski's in the back and the one in the front connected to the steering wheel (forgot what it is called). Its alot of fun and gives the rider somewhat of an option of steering the sled left to right while being pulled. Also it has a plow type foot brake.
Kinda like this one

steerable-snow-racer-sled-1.jpg

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That is a GT snow racer. We tow one of those around as well. I also have an old windsurfer that was made for snow. Two kids on it having a ball.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Get an old car hood! scrap/junk yard for a few bucks. I have used one with a bench seat from a truck welded onto it too. Cadillac sled! We didnt even have snow in this video lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts