Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the past 2 days my throttle was froze on my xp. It's a 09 with 2500 miles. I took the 3 screws off of throttle body where throttle cable goes in and found a lot of moisture like literally water come out when I took cover off. The o-ring was still intact just wandering why so much moisuture in there. Going clean out with some carb cleaner then put some type of lube in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 2010 850 during deer hunting. My shop is heated and I don't trail ride much in the winter so I have had no idea how long the water was in there for. I will have to pull the cover off of mine sometime and see what I find.

·
Registered
295 Posts
same thing happened to my 2010 850 also throttle was froze solid i know how it got in there i swamped it earlier in the fall was under water for 2 hrs up to the airbox not in it though seeps in the cover and i think the little black plug mine is weather cracked on the back of that little housing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just FYI don't take that bolt off the spindle! They put a punch in it that will destroy the threads when you back it off. I did this and almost had to buy a new throttle body.

2013 Sportsman 550 pursuit camo

Badlands 3000lbs winch

Atv-Guru Front Brush Guard

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I sprayed out first with some carb and choke cleaner. Then sprayed some cable lube in there. I let it sit outside and still froze up. I suppose I need to take it apart farther and clean.

·
Registered
188 Posts
displacedtexancoastie, I don't know if you have a different one than I, but i was able to completely dissasemble and put it back together without breaking anything.

That happened to me too, so I usually put some RTV sealant along the groove.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just took my cover off and there was a little water in there. The oring looked fine and I was trying to figure out how water got in there. I think it is coming in right where the throttle cable goes in the housing. There is a little rubber boot over it but I don't think it is water tight. I am going to rtv the boot when I get around to putting it back together.

·
Registered
526 Posts
On the old carbed stuff like our 325 Magnum it came with a ring seal (ours was missing ) but even then there is a drain slot on the bottom side that would let water in but back out if swamped. Our 2001 was clean inside but since the o ring seal was missing someone has been in there before.

IF after cleaning it out the throttle freezes in cold weather there may be water inside the throttle cable jacket.

·
Registered
944 Posts
They used to make those little cable lubing attachments for lubing brake cables. You would disconnect the brake cable at the lever, clamp the attachment on the cable's casing end and then insert the straw from what ever lube you used into a small hole in the cable luber. Spay away. They worked good. Lube, wd40 or what ever you choose would even run out the bottom of the cable.

One of those would work good for this case.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
They used to make those little cable lubing attachments for lubing brake cables. You would disconnect the brake cable at the lever, clamp the attachment on the cable's casing end and then insert the straw from what ever lube you used into a small hole in the cable luber. Spay away. They worked good. Lube, wd40 or what ever you choose would even run out the bottom of the cable.

One of those would work good for this case.
They still make the cable lube tool...its a must have item....I use one my self....what I have done was I first run PB blaster thru the cable to clean any rust that may have formed...then I use a a can of Air to blow out the cable..then use a cable lube..there is teflon based lube that displaces water if any gets in...nothing worse than a frozen cable in winter,,,,

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you have a link to a source would you please post it. I have never seen one and it would be helpful on the hood release cables on a lot of our old stuff.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If you have a link to a source would you please post it. I have never seen one and it would be helpful on the hood release cables on a lot of our old stuff.

Here is what they are.... Amazon.com: Cable Lube Luber Lubricator Lubricant tool for Motorcycle Scooter Bike: Automotive they have a bigger one also for like brake cables...I use it on my motercycle....ATV's...and on my truck for emergency brakes an hood release..any housed cable actually....works like a champ

·
Registered
944 Posts
They do work well. You can even slide the cable itself back and forth while you spray to loosen up the really bad ones.

Remember whatever you spray into it will most likely come out the other end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts