Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, but not new to quads. Recently purchased a 2004 Sportsman 700 that has less than 700 miles on it. It's my first Polaris machine and first 4-wheel drive. It's in great shape as far as I can tell and does have a professionally installed 2 inch lift that was put on recently with a new set of Gator tires. Machine definitely has not been abused.

Question is that whether in 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive from a dead stop the machine is very jumpy. A little worse on hard surface than on dirt, but about the same. Feels like somebody is hitting you in the back with a ball bat it is so jumpy...catches than doesn't. It honestly feels like something in the drive is slipping or jumping and it feels like it comes more from the front than the rear, even though the AWD is switched off. Also, it seems to require what I would consider excessive RPM to even get it to move, but maybe that is part of this system I am unaccustomed to. Once underway it appears to be fine, although I have not had it in the mud/extreme conditions yet.

Any ideas what this is or what may need replaced/adjusted? I've had it up on lift and all of the driveshafts appear fine.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Polaris + 'rubbery' drivelines

You say not new to quads, yet are you new to polaris quads and their driveline system? If not:

What you're experiencing could be normal, a video with some audio may help us help you diagnose it more accurately but...the 'jumpiness' could also be a modified clutch or clutch kit installed to take advantage of the lift and larger tires? Hard to tell with out more info...

Polaris' drivelines in general are kinda 'rubber bandy' at startup from zero. The manual says not to baby the throttle at startup instead give it a good blip to thrust the rpms up quickly and begin clutch engagement then continue increasing rpms to fully engage the clutch and prevent execessive slipping and of course wear. A properly adjusted and utilized clutch can last thousands of miles, some on here get 10,000 with regular cleanings/inspections. Luck. :cowboy:

·
Registered
495 Posts
New to the forum, but not new to quads. Recently purchased a 2004 Sportsman 700 that has less than 700 miles on it. It's my first Polaris machine and first 4-wheel drive. It's in great shape as far as I can tell and does have a professionally installed 2 inch lift that was put on recently with a new set of Gator tires. Machine definitely has not been abused.

Question is that whether in 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive from a dead stop the machine is very jumpy. A little worse on hard surface than on dirt, but about the same. Feels like somebody is hitting you in the back with a ball bat it is so jumpy...catches than doesn't. It honestly feels like something in the drive is slipping or jumping and it feels like it comes more from the front than the rear, even though the AWD is switched off. Also, it seems to require what I would consider excessive RPM to even get it to move, but maybe that is part of this system I am unaccustomed to. Once underway it appears to be fine, although I have not had it in the mud/extreme conditions yet.

Any ideas what this is or what may need replaced/adjusted? I've had it up on lift and all of the driveshafts appear fine.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!
I would remove the belt cover and inspect that first. (You will need to remove it anyway.) I had a similar problem with my 07 450 Sportsman, and it was a chunk missing out of the belt near the widest part, on the outside diameter of the belt, but near the edge where it contacted the tapered pulleys. It felt like it was running with teeth missing out of the gears at take off. Very jumpy indeed. A new belt took care of it. It only had 1300 miles on it and had been doing it since I picked it up off its original owner. Just a thought and what I experienced. I have also read on this forum where a spring change should be in order with the larger tires. You also want to pay attention to the angle of the drive axles coming out of the diff cases. Puts extra wear or a strain on the CV joints. (read that here too!) Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input. I've never had an auto quad, so the mechanics are new to me. I checked out the video and that was very helpful. I'm going to open up the belt cover and take a look at the belt as suggested...then I'll report back!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd recommend pulling the cover for an inspection..... while your there it would be a good time to blow out the clutches of rubber dust & any debris. Not: compressed air works well, (Helpful hint: set up a box fan blowing at your back. ;) ). Then I'd clean the clutch sheaves (tapered faces) with a scotch brite pad lightly to allow them to bite the belt better again (Note: Stroke the scotch brite from outer to inner diameter). I then clean off any residue with a rag and isopropyl alcohol. Allow to dry or blow dry and install a new "Polaris" belt. If this doesn't solve the issues then it'd be time to dig into the clutches further!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya'll were dead on about checking the belt. The outside edge is badly worn and about 1/3 of it is missing the outside tooth on that side. However the inside facees of the clutches are smooth as silk and the whole interior was very clean. Clutches appear to be stock based on manufacturer dates on them and they are Polaris. I'm not sure if the age of the belt got to it or what...weird.

Anyhow many thanks for the advice. So I need a new belt. In looking I see mainly either OEM Polaris ($$$) or Dayco HP or HPX ($$). Dayco by description actually appears to be a better item to withstand the larger, more aggressive tires and the lift.

Recommendations as to which to buy?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
OEM Polaris from Dealer -or- Gates from Parts Store!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I picked up a Gates belt from NAPA for under $60. Found the same thing on Amazon.Com for under $40.!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts