Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i'm new to this forum. I've got a 2003 Sportsman 500 HO, it has 1700 miles on it, hasn't been out of the yard in 4 years, been mainly used for plowing driveway. This past weekend i took it to a friends cottage. Alot of the water holes weren't frozen enough to ride on top, so we were breaking through the ice alot. When ever i went through a water hole that it was a little over the floor boards, bike would rev up like something was slipping, it would barely crawl along, but once i was out of the water, bike pulled fine. My first instinct was that my belt was slipping, but if it was the belt slipping from being wet, why would it not keep slipping after it came out of the water hole. I would assume that once the belt got wet, it would slip for a while. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
How had was you revving the bike when coming out? Also have you added larger tires or inspected the belt for wear and glazed spots?

Matt

Sent from West 'by-God' Virginia!!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would say you have a water leak. When you take the cover off you should be able to tell if it was leaking or not.

Sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys, bike has stock tires. Wasn't reving that hard, some holes were maybe 10 feet in lenght, once the water was a little over floor boards, it wouldn't pull, give it gas and it would seem to rev like it was in neutral, it would just barely crawl, but as it was coming out of the hole, it would pull fine. I've read that people have been getting 3000 to 4000 miles on a belt, i've babied this bike since new and only has 1700 on it. Bike wasn't sitting for 4 years, just hasn't been out of the yard, been using it occasionally for plowing driveway and yard work. Like i mentioned previously, if it was a wet belt, i would think it would slip for a while until it dried out, not just slip while in the water.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Take off the belt cover and take a peak at it. Also make sure the belt cover drain plug is still there. Get a new seal from the dealer. Also check the buttons on the driven clutch and clean everything up an replace. I went to NAPA and got a tube of Even-Bead blue RTV as well and ran it on top of the seal just to make sure it was good. Let dry and take for a spin!

May wanna hold off on the RTV until you make sure all is well for you.

Matt

Sent from West 'by-God' Virginia!!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Good advice to remove the cover and take a peek. Probably needs a good cleaning and might as well change the belt. Sometimes age will damage the belts effectiveness so it's wise to replace it while your in there.
I use some die-electric grease all round my clutch cover and it seems to keep the water out just fine. I've been up to my seat in water and the belt never slipped. I don't go into water that deep if I can help it. Take a look at your crank seals inside the cover, I guess it's a good idea to silicone them in place to prevent water from coming in. Also your air breather snorkel connection should be greased and tightened(where it goes into clutch cover).....Good luck.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you have a leak in the belt box, water will get in there, cause the belt to slip while in the water. Then when you get out of the water, the water will drain back out from wherever it is getting in, and your belt will start to grip again. Most likely you need to take the clutch apart, and seal behind the rear cover where it meets up with the engine/transmission. Do not use dielectric grease like the previous poster stated. I'm sure it was a typo, but dielectric grease is for your electrical connections. Silicon is used for sealing up the cover and snorkel connections. You are also going to need a new belt. OEM is highly recommended.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you have a leak in the belt box, water will get in there, cause the belt to slip while in the water. Then when you get out of the water, the water will drain back out from wherever it is getting in, and your belt will start to grip again. Most likely you need to take the clutch apart, and seal behind the rear cover where it meets up with the engine/transmission. Do not use dielectric grease like the previous poster stated. I'm sure it was a typo, but dielectric grease is for your electrical connections. Silicon is used for sealing up the cover and snorkel connections. You are also going to need a new belt. OEM is highly recommended.
lol......give me a little credit. I know what die-electric grease is for......I just used it around my clutch cover to keep water out and it's worked so far. The cover goes on easy and comes off easy. Silicone would be best but I don't want the mess when I remove the cover.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts