Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My propeller shaft is loose on both ends and vibrates at high speed. Typically is it the female shaft ends that wear or the male ends coming out of the transmission /differential, or both. I would like to know before I order a new shaft. Is this a commonly worn out part? My 04 sportsman only has around 1000 miles on it. For that matter both front drive shafts are sloppy as well. Can you get cheaper after market shafts? Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First welcome aboard!

·
Registered
14 Posts
how much movement are you having, because as far as i know there will always be some play in the shafts. mine for example will move about a quarter inch in both directions, before it locks when it is just sitting.

Andrew

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean rotational play or side to side? Mine has side to side on both ends of the shaft. The reason I am concerned is that at high speed it really vibrates, sometimes when I let go of the throttle and reapply it settles down. Almost seems like something is out of balance but gets back into balance. This happens with or without AWD engaged. It feels like a bad U-joint but it seems tight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There is going to be some slop in the splines. 99% of the time a vibration is from bad u joints. Pull the shaft and rotate the u joint by hand. If there is any binding at all the u joint is shot and needs to be replaced. Also pull the u joint caps and inspect the machined part of the cross, any grooves or galling means joint is bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upon further inspection you are right, the rear u-joint is bad. Apparently a Napa, Federal-Mogul, #338 will work for 1/3 the price of Polaris.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am changing the pinion seal at the front diff. as well. Looks like it is leaking. Dealer can't sell the seal only, repair kit only which consist of a o-ring, seal, and bearing for $80, local bearing shop (Kinecor) has the seals
(metric 25mmX47mmX7mm) for $4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts