Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a small trailer to tow my 750 pound Polaris 550 EPS and for use while hitched to the ATV. My ranger 4x2 only has a 1640 pound towing capacity so I need a light weight trailer. I only plan on making short trips on rural back roads; nothing cross country. While the ATV just barely fits in the pickup bed, I've not entirely comfortable moving it around like that.

I was looking at this trailer. Ironton Folding Trailer Kit — 4Ft. x 8Ft. | Trailers| Northern Tool + Equipment It weighs about 250 pounds and will haul about 1170 pounds. The 550 eps is rated to tow about 1500 pounds; don't think I will ask it to do that much though.

I feel that with a half inch plywood deck and and 2x8 planks to re-enforce the path the ATV wheels take, it would hold up the weight of the ATV when loaded in the trailer. If I attached some angle iron to the frame to anchor the tires in place it would not slip off while towing. Tie down straps would also be used.

Suggestions? Thanks.

Randy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not? The ATV is 83" long and 50" wide. The tires are 48" wide at the treads. The trailer is 4 feet by 8 feet.

Randy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your Ford should be fine towing your trailer and rig, even with the plywood on the trailer you will have several hundred pounds to spare. That being said you will have a tight squeeze getting you machine on that trailer but it is workable. I have seen too many horror pics on youtube to even think of trying to load/offload my atv from a pickup bed. Just remember to keep a spare trailer tire with you.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Belfair Washington,.........Sister in Law lives there!

Your 550 is right at 48" wide.......slow speeds, short trips, you may be ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have seen too many horror pics on youtube to even think of trying to load/offload my atv from a pickup bed. Just remember to keep a spare trailer tire with you.
I was almost one of those horror pics. I was unsure of how well the ATV would fit in the pickup and told the dealer so. I told them if they could load it in the bed, I would buy it. They had a wide ramp and made it look like child's play.

I had purchased a set of ramps from a local store that were rated for 1000 pounds, but they were only about eight inches wide. First I was unable to back the ATV out of the pickup bed, the tires kept on slipping. I had to position the truck so it was pointed uphill in the driveway. On the way down the ramps I drove off the edge and bent them. With the rear wheels on the ground and the front wheels on the tailgate I removed the ramps and just backed off without any more problems.

My solution to the problem was buying another set of ramps and bolting them into a pair so they are now twice as wide. I also painted a strip of rhino-lining on the pickup bed wheel wells and the tailgate where the tires grip when initially driving in or backing out; works like a charm.

Randy

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have been using my truck for the past 11 years without a problem. Those videos on Youtube show idiots trying to do things that a person with common sense would not. Safety should be #1 and then a set of quality ramps with the proper rating and secured to the bumper. But it you are getting a trailer I would get a quality one and not the cheapest one. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! How much money do you have wrapped up in the Atv? How much insurance do you carry if this trailer blows a tire and wrecks your or someone elses vehicle? None of that is going to be worth the few dollars you save on one of those trailers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
^^ That.

I would not put my ATV on something that it just barely fits on. That trailer is fine if you want to tow stuff with your ATV, but there are better inexpensive solutions out there. Maybe not $400, but I would invest a little more in something meant for your bike.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Ranb,

I'm not a fan of "the cheapest option" unless you're talking about a craiglist score. if you need a trailer to haul stuff with the ATV get one for that, If you need a trailer to haul the atv get on for that. They should not be the same trailer. as the trailer for the ATV needs to be better suited for off road use. not road use.

We should meet up at Tahuya some time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts