Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive my lack of knowledge in the area, but I just picked up an 02 Scrambler 400 4X4 and had a few questions. I ran it for a couple minutes yesterday and when I shut it off I noticed smoke coming from the exhaust and a bit coming from the the handle bar area? I know that the 2 Strokes smoke, but wasn't sure if it should be coming from there after the unit is off?

Also the steering is very sloppy on it which appears to be a common problem on these. There is definitely a lot of play in the steering and I have to turn the handlebars a bit to keep it straight. How much and I looking at to fix this?

Thank you.

·
13,707 Posts
You'll need to do a close inspection of the steering to find exactly what needs replaced. Tie rod ends, ball joints and steering stem bushings can all be replaced for somewhere around $150 if you do the work yourself. As for the smoke, the front is probably just an exhaust gasket ($7-8) and the rear....well...it's a 2 smoke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll need to do a close inspection of the steering to find exactly what needs replaced. Tie rod ends, ball joints and steering stem bushings can all be replaced for somewhere around $150 if you do the work yourself. As for the smoke, the front is probably just an exhaust gasket ($7-8) and the rear....well...it's a 2 smoke.
Thank you for the advice. I'll take a look into those. How big of a project are tie rod ends, ball joints, and the steering stem bushings?

Also how easy is it to get to the exhaust gasket?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.