Polaris ATV Forum banner

snaped OEM axle

6K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  doo 
#1 ·
snapped an axle as soon as went into a mud hole and I wasn't even giving it hell. Anyways thinking about running highlifter axle anybody have any issues with them? or I am up for suggestions

#3 ·
it broke the right front axel in the joint going into the wheel. I don't have it taken apart yet its cold as hell right now.

#4 ·
Front axles are weak spot when you run bigger tires. I put Rhino's on but if they break I will get Gorrillas or Turners.

#5 ·
bigger mud tires on an xp equals axel upgrade time. i have no experience with them but cobra axels are also an option in addition to the forementioned axels.

#6 ·
Turner axel are to expensive for my wallet but I would love to have some

#8 ·
You would be correct my friend that ain't no lie right there

#10 ·
Where is a good place to buy Turner axles?
To my knowledge turner fabs the axels after u place the order.

#11 ·
If you compare the diameter of the axles on Polaris Sportsmans back in '03...the old versions look like gorilla axles! Just another way to cut costs, make things cheaper, and less reliable.

half the steel at twice the price?

#14 ·
If you compare the diameter of the axles on Polaris Sportsmans back in '03...the old versions look like gorilla axles! Just another way to cut costs, make things cheaper, and less reliable.

Here's a 2013 850xp front oem and a rhino

My S3 addiction!!
So...your saying my statement of the axle size of the 2003 Sportmans vs the 2013 version is not true?

Are you saying the axles snapping has nothing to do with the size?

Are you saying there is not a common problem with the 850's breaking OEM axles?

nope. I agree with u! I was pointing out how small the oem polaris ones r!

My S3 addiction!!

#12 ·
snapped an axle as soon as went into a mud hole and I wasn't even giving it hell. Anyways thinking about running highlifter axle anybody have any issues with them? or I am up for suggestions

My S3 addiction!!

#15 ·

My S3 addiction!!
So...your saying my statement of the axle size of the 2003 Sportmans vs the 2013 version is not true?

My S3 addiction!!

I wish would have had all the facts and known problems before buying mine thats for sure. Instead went from past personal experience of pre 2003 models of Polaris....what a regret thus far

#13 ·

My S3 addiction!!

#16 ·

My S3 addiction!!

I wish would have had all the facts and known problems before buying mine thats for sure. Instead went from past personal experience of pre 2003 models of Polaris....what a regret thus far
Im happy with mine so far.only problem so far has just been the weak front axles!

My S3 addiction!!

#17 ·
after reading this I went out to look at my front axels on my 02 sportsman..they are hefty not like the new OEM ones shown above....I guess Polaris went the money saving course and skimped on the axles...to bad...

#19 ·
I have cobra axles on my 850 xp, I am very happy with them. I have no experience with highlifter axles, I had gorillas on my older 700efi and they were fine except I kept on tearing boots.

#20 ·
Ya im kinda torn between the cobra and the high lifter. dont know wich ones I want. Its good to know that the cobra can stand up to your laws that gives me the warm and fuzzies

#21 ·
Well ordered the high lifter dht today hope it will hold up

#22 ·
If you buy a new pick up and put on big mud tires and go bury it in the mud time after time, and then snap a axle, would you call the dealer and say you want warranty, they are made plenty strong with stock tires

#23 ·
Actually my 4 four wheeler is still under warranty and no I didn't call them

#24 ·
And btw it was the 1st time out with those tires and the 1st mud hole they had seen soo I dont know what your trying to get started Indy

#25 ·
no not trying to start anything just saying all the guys say why not big stronger axles from Polaris, just was doing a different idea

they should build a tough mudder wheeler with all the goodies like snorkel and granny gear and 1 ton axles and steering shock and come with big lug tires, problem is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and 80 percent of wheeler riders don't need any of that stuff

#27 ·
Honestly I never thought I would need all that fancy stuff mostly did all my ridding in the mountains in virginia on a dirt bike but my cousin always had polaris four wheelers I know how long they can last which is why I bought one but the navy has me here in oklahoma and well this mud here is something else so I find my self building a mudder because with with stock tires I found my self always getting stuck so I upgraded I knew breaking an axel was going to happen just didn't think it would be on the first ride but ohhh well yes it would be awesome if polaris would make a version of a xmr but honestly I think people will buy it shoot a rzr is like 20g and seen at least 5 of them this weekend

#29 ·
I think you will be fine with the dht's especially if you don't have a lift.

I will also agree that Polaris has started skimping on the axles. The older sportsman axles were pretty stout for a stock axle. The 2010 and 2009 xp's had decent axles but they got smaller on the 2011's and current.

#30 ·
Dht axles are good. Mine are holding up well with 30" tires and a high lifter 3" lift.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

#31 · (Edited)
Does any of the other manufacturers have problems with axle breakage, especially when more aggressive tires are added? I know if I build something I over kill it every time because I know if the goin gets tough.....it ain't going to break!!
My point is, you would think Polaris would make the axles stronger to take what an aggressive rider can dish out, instead of making them just strong enough for the casual trail rider!
Polaris has had axle issues for years now, why are they not addressing the issue? Like veedubshafer said, why not make them 25% stronger, might cost Polaris an extra 10-15 bucks per ATV more, not much when your talking $10,000 machines!
Out of curiosity, is the axles on the 850 the same as the 550? I sure fricken hope not as there is a substantial difference in horsepower!

#32 ·
^ yes they are

#33 ·
Yes other guys break axles. A big part of this is that the horsepower on the 850 is so much more than the older and smaller models. These machines will push big tires so people do and the rotational forces involved lead towards axle breakage. Could they be stoughter, absolutely but at some point everything "could" be better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.