Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That time of year again, so who is going. Looks like there will be alot of snow this year.:cowboy:What alot fun this run is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm going! It's my first time going on it, hope its as fun as everyone says it is

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going! It's my first time going on it, hope its as fun as everyone says it is
Be prepared for alot snow this year.It's alot fun and alot good people. Where you starting from Barnes Corners? You can register at any of the stops.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Highmarket wheelers just shared a page from the Watertown paper saying it's cancelled this year, sounds like the snowmobile club that runs it had a temper tantrum

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They canceled do to the fact that so many people were trapped last year on the trail do to all the snow.The county requested the snowmobile club to sweps through the all the trails. To avoid all the 911 calls for help getting off the hill.It seems this could resolved and reschuled, it is a big impact for Lewis County.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's too bad, last year was tough due to people that weren't prepared. I'm going to head up anyway surely there'll be a lot of people there despite it being cancelled. Do you think they'll give us a hard time because it's pre May1, and the trails/roads not being officially open?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yes that is what I read as well. The issue is they want them to sweep the trails late at night like at midnite and the guy said he is not responsible for people that go out after the event closes at 6 and they check the trails. Honestly I don't blame him that's asking alot. From what I understand it brings in a ton of money to the area it would be a shame if they dont have it. Was going to go but couldn't find a room for all of us to stay it books so far in advance from what im told

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am being told "talks are going on and the event may go on or rescheduled.We will know more in a few days" is what I was told.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Went once 3 years ago. It is a good time but you want to be prepared to sit and watch as folks try to get "unstuck" in the snow (just not my idea of a day of trail-riding) it's different. This year will be especially bad; I doubt and of the trails will be "dirt"! Does not surprise me they canceled. If you go anyways, you will likely be inviting a ticket or two. :veryhappy:

You can read the info here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's back on. Agreement was reached with the county.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I heard it's back on again, too. The Barnes Corners Sno Pals had to obtain a rider on their insurance policy to cover ATV's. There was also some mandated improvements to the setup, mostly having to do with clearly identifying what roads are to be used and which are restricted from use. Lots of complaints from residents last year due to people driving on the roads due to poor trail conditions.

North road was a parking lot last year. We went north from whatever bar that is, higmarket maybe, but I dont think that is the one.., and at 9am it was passable, but by 11 am it was a parking lot. The holes just turned to mush and even the big old mud & snow tires were having a hard time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I say I'm going every year, but never do because parking and lodging look like nightmares. I go at least 5-6 times a year during the regular riding season usually during the week so there's never a problem. If I do go this year, I might stay in Utica, at least I can hit off the brewery.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stay at the ridgeview motel past couple years, we roll in friday night.I would check with them or boonedockers or brantingham area for rooms.You see some really tricked out rides.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I went for the first time last year and had a blast! Agree with POL850 - it's well worth it to see all the rides, and all the crazy rides and riders. One of the coolest things that I saw last year was a deuce and a half. That bad boy literally drove through a six foot snowbank without even noticing it. Then again, I did have more fun on the trails in May - much less crowded and nobody getting stuck...

Check out some of the videos out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've almost talked myself into going. I would just hate to drive all that way and sit in atv traffic jams. Does anyone know if the area around Highmarket and Sportsmans is as busy as say Timberview, Montague, tuggers?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I highmarket was pretty busy last year. Tug hill is suppose to get 4-8 more inches today.So we most likely have as much snow as we did last year if not more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A friend of a friend has a camp off of Fishcreek between Highmarket and Hideaway that I'm hoping to park at. I wish there was an online registration for those of us that are traveling a good distance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I been saying im going for like 5 or 6 years and never make it. This year may be the one, lol. If I have to ill sleep in my truck hahaha....

·
Registered
575 Posts
I usually don't make it to the Snirt run, my family owns land just south of Brantingham into the town of Lyonsdale, we ride in the summer when the county trail system Is open, we can just take off from camp and get anywhere we want, and there's no snow !!!! Lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts