Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. I have a 2010 850xp and I was wondering if I shoul get some chains for plowing this year. I have no experience plowing with an atv and I don't want to be spinning all over the place because I didn't get them. I have a 60" warn plow an I still have the stock tires. Are there different types of chains? What brand should I look at? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Hey y'all. I have a 2010 850xp and I was wondering if I shoul get some chains for plowing this year. I have no experience plowing with an atv and I don't want to be spinning all over the place because I didn't get them. I have a 60" warn plow an I still have the stock tires. Are there different types of chains? What brand should I look at? Thanks for any help.
Here's my take on chains (I use them on all four). They can be both good and bad. Good - no spinning and slipping, just push where ever you want to go. Bad, lots of traction and the chance you will break something if you are forceful. I like the no slipping, but I am also pretty cautious and don't go ramming and banging around. JMO

·
Registered
555 Posts
There are a lot of ATV accessory sits that sell tire chains... like Rocky Mountain ATV. However the best chains I've found are right here...

ATV Tire Chains for ATVs

The two link spacing are superior to the 4 link, and the quad will ride better with them.

I've never seen any listed for 14" ATV rims, but that doesn't matter. The tire size does (diameter & circumference). Your tires are 26", so you'll need chains for that size. However, even then you may need to cut/adjust the links regardless. Also, use the chain tensioners (or bungy cords).

Keep in mind that chains will tear up a paved driveway pretty bad.

·
Registered
877 Posts
IMO u are better off just getting some better tires for a few extra bucks
dont know what kind of riding u do but i got the zillas as i do alot of mud riding and everything i have heard on them they are great in the snow (no personal experience with them yet)
for around 350 to 400 dollars u can get a set of stock size

sooner or later ur gonna have to replace the stock tires anyways

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought a Sportsman 600 with a glacier plow system and the previous owner said he never had to use chains, even when we had 15" of snow, he had a dirt drive and a paved drive.

I would try airing down the tires a little first and adding a little weight if more traction is needed before going out and buying chains, these machines are pretty heavy on their own so i have a feeling you are going to be surprised at what they can move. Also when expecting a big storm it is better to go out and plow a couple of times(more fun too)rather than letting it all pile up, less wear and tear on the machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No need for chains

I have a 60" on the front of my machine and have plowed with and w/o chains. Some pros and cons to consider while running chains.....
P: Night and day difference in how much snow you can push
C: Will destroy any seal-coated surface you plow on
P: When plowing dirt/gravel drives.....well, you are unstoppable
C: More abnormal wear on the tires
Not to mention you NEED to inspect your chains to make sure the lateral chains are not worn through where they will break(destroying plastics amongst other things). Also, when in between plowing, You should cut down on the speed.....No tool'n.:yikes:
I found that running weight on the rear w/o chains was more beneficial because I have a lot of local accounts around town, and many don't appreciate rusty posi marks on their asphalt/concrete driveways come spring.
I mounted 135lbs on the rear of my machine (pictured) which helps when pushing snow as well as helps with maneuverability while in reverse(especially when backing uphills) Personally, if you plan on doing a LOT of plowing, I would ditch the chain idea....I did, cause of the risk of damaging my machine after I had thrown a chain in between accounts.
As far as deflating your tires for traction....you could do that but doing so makes it harder to steer your machine. Even if you have power assist. that is more wear-n-tear on those components. I usually add 2psi to the front tires come winter to make it a little easier on the upper body when the blade is up.
One more thing......have fun this winter!!!!!!:biglaugh:
CIMG6768.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still undecided. Last year we got 2 feet of snow 2 different times in se pa. Is this machine gonna move that much snow withought chains? And yes it will be mostly on blacktop. I guess I'm just gonna wait and see what happens and hope I don't look like a fool. Haha

·
Registered
555 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I'm still undecided. Last year we got 2 feet of snow 2 different times in se pa. Is this machine gonna move that much snow withought chains? And yes it will be mostly on blacktop. I guess I'm just gonna wait and see what happens and hope I don't look like a fool. Haha
Plow "with" the storm. Don't wait for 2 feet to fall before you start plowing... even if you need to plow 3 or 4 times.

·
Registered
370 Posts
yo hillbilly i rode a 09 850 in those storms last year and never had a problem with traction and thats with the junk stock tires.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
I think you have a good plan - wait and see what you think. From what I've experienced, it's comes down more to preference. I use chains and I have two neighbors that do not. We all get the job done, I just get it done "quicker" with less gas used. :pfeif:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I didn't have to use any chains in last years snowstorms up here in the northeast. A set of good tires is probably all you need.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i don't have a plow for it yet but am looking to get one. what is the best way to go mid-mount or front mount and what size blade? also which brand?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got a 60" warn plow with a front mount. It was fairly easy. The piece that hangs down only has 4 bolts so I'm not even gonna put it back on till it's about to snow. It seems nice but I haven't used it yet so I'm not gonna say it's good or not. One thing is the weight of that thing really makes her squat when I lift it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
i don't have a plow for it yet but am looking to get one. what is the best way to go mid-mount or front mount and what size blade? also which brand?
i would go 60" GIII(popo) if i had it to do over again on my 850
the GIII looks to be a good plow tho nobody has yet to use it in the snow
also warn has some good plows

either way with the 550/850 i would go with the 60" as when u turn with anything smaller u will be driving thru the unplowed snow due to the width of the machine

·
Registered
370 Posts
thanks guys. our kabota wasn't cutting it last year in the snow using the bucket to more or less shoel our 1/8 mile driveway

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you need a plow that you can get on and off quickly, the front mounts fit the bill. On the other hand, a good mid mount will hold up better. So, it all depends on how difficult a plowing mission you have. If you are going to plow a small paved driveway or two, the front mount may be sufficient. If you going to plow a big dirt/rock driveway, I would go with well built mid mount.

Several folks have said the new Glacier III looks good, but there has been little or no feedback. I would let somebody else be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
555 Posts
thanks guys. our kabota wasn't cutting it last year in the snow using the bucket to more or less shoel our 1/8 mile driveway
Darn, we posted at about the same time.

Anyhow, if you are going to plow a 1/8 mile driveway (and I bet it's a dirt/rock driveway) I'd stay as far away from the Polaris plows/systems as possible.

Good luck, and spend your money wisely.

EDIT: Not sure what Kubota you have, but a guy down the road has an 1100 series with a big 6 1/2 ft. or 7 ft. "V" plow on it. Now that sucker will plow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
it is actually a asphalt driveway full of potholes that need to be fixed next year. the big question i have about midmount plows is am i going to need to remove the whole system for 4 wheeling and trail riding

·
Registered
877 Posts
it is actually a asphalt driveway full of potholes that need to be fixed next year. the big question i have about midmount plows is am i going to need to remove the whole system for 4 wheeling and trail riding
either way i would and am removing the mount when winter is done
there is no need for it on enless u plan on using it for plowing dirt/gravel ect.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts