Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is coming and with that in mind I went out in the garage and thought about the fun that lies ahead riding in the white stuff. I recently bought a 60" Denali Plow to clear my driveways this winter and have been thinking of any useful additions I could add to my plow. What are some things you have done? Right now I'm definitely thinking a rubber strip for the top to prevent snow fro blowing back at me and possibly some wings on the sides to keep the snow boxed in. Feel free to share pics and ideas!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I built wings for the sides of mine. I also have a rubber strip across the top.

The wings work great if you want to remove snow , not just angle it to the side. It all depends on where you are using it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see a lot of times guys go perpendicular to their plow blade, but I was going to pitch mine roughly 30-45 degrees inward. I was also debating on putting them on hinges so they would be adjustable for any situation. How wide is your rubber strip on top?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Few links with pics you may find helpful
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/61141-making-wings-warn-60-provantage-plow.html

Good pics and page 5 he has video of it all in action
http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/61141-making-wings-warn-60-provantage-plow.html

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/74706-atv-plow-wings-atv-rear-plow.html

We've had some mild winters lately with a few 8-10" dumps, but usually just a couple inches now and again. I gave up on the snow flap years ago even in commercial plowing, with the newer plows the design/radius easily rolls the snow forward so weather on my trucks or ATV, never had a need for it. Same goes for rookie rods, on a truck they are needed because you cant see the plow when dropped, on an ATV the plow is literally 4' in front of your face so I always scratch my head and laugh at the guys putting rookie rods on ATV plows, basically just eye candy with zero purpose what so ever.

·
Registered
34 Posts
this guy simply attached a pile of sheet metal and some bricks to a small Toyota and uses a come-along to raise/lower it...probably retro this to a 570 pretty easily

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only reason I was thinking of adding a rubber flap on the top edge of the blade was to eliminate the fluffy lake effect snow we often get from blowing back in my face. I suppose that could be something to add later on as necessary. Last winter was mild for us, but the previous winter we got well over the average 130" were used to in my area and it was frigid. The rear plow setup I like! I hadn't even considered it to be honest. Thanks for those links, but for the wings I was going to make mine look pretty much factory. I work in a steel fab shop and run a water jet, so I have the ability to fabricate anything that can be drawn in a picture. Pretty neat setup. I'll be sure to post pics of any progress I make - I just drew the cad files to cut a few things out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be completely unnecessary and over the top I was also considering adding some amber strobe lights. Always a good thing to be seen! I'd love to see what other guys have thought of for that too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last mod before the snow

Light mod for plowing...right around $50.00

$20.00 for two 4" 48watt Led lights (flood lights) - amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIHOZP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$15.00 for two aluminum brackets - amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FETT3FO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$7.00 relay - autozone

$10.00 handle bar mounted rocker switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G35E0AW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wired it to directly connect to the battery tender cable via an extra tender connector I had (reversed the leads to get the correct polarity). Switch closes the relay, relay contacts carry the load to the lights directly from the battery, independent of the stock lights. Brackets mounted to the 1" tubing on the front trunk (on our CanAm-Spyder its called a frunk) lid.

I did add a volt meter to show battery condition while plowing - another amazon purchase

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K9JI1CK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lights are nice and high, swivel and tip up and down.

Can't see the plow in the pic, but I went with the Glacier plow and Polaris winch and the "must have" auto winch stop switch - ready for the snow. Here in WI, should be arriving inside the next two weeks...excited, but not necessarily happy about that. Next, add the rubber strip to the top of the plow to get the snow to roll forward.

ron

Attachments

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I run a 60" plow with 12" wings for a 6' width total...not a care given in the world about front end attitude when I raise it. I'll turn up the tension during plowing season so it's stiffer than my normal ride setting, but other than that...could care less.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I used my Denali last year for everything from light and fluffy to heavy and wet, and it didn't seem to need any accessories. Hopefully, that trend continues this year.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I haven't installed it yet but last night I bought materials from TSC to put a rubber flap on the top of my Denali plow.

I got this.
WCCO Belting Baler Belting, 2-Ply, 4 in. x 60 in. - For Life Out Here

I also bought a piece of 1 1/2" x 1/4" flat stock to bolt on top. I will have the rubber sandwiched between the plow and the flat stock. TSC had 15% off of everything last night so I got both pieces for under $25.00.

I know some people said it isn't necessary but I have also seen some videos on youtube with light snow flying up over the plow and onto the driver. Hopefully this will help with that.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I haven't installed it yet but last night I bought materials from TSC to put a rubber flap on the top of my Denali plow.

I got this.
WCCO Belting Baler Belting, 2-Ply, 4 in. x 60 in. - For Life Out Here

I also bought a piece of 1 1/2" x 1/4" flat stock to bolt on top. I will have the rubber sandwiched between the plow and the flat stock. TSC had 15% off of everything last night so I got both pieces for under $25.00.

I know some people said it isn't necessary but I have also seen some videos on youtube with light snow flying up over the plow and onto the driver. Hopefully this will help with that.
Usually caused by cheap plow with no concern to moldboards radius so it doesn't curl over and roll off, and/or improper attack anglet setting on the moldboard itself, top should be tilted slightly forward over cutting edge side to aid in curling the snow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you have a long driveway I wouldn't recommend the wings. I used to live on a long driveway through a farm field that would drift bad, I would try and go as fast as possible to fling that snow off as far and high as possible. I have a pretty good sized windshield I would just hide behind and go. Pushing medium snowfalls on a average sized driveway I think it would be a great idea though like a push box.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If you have a long driveway I wouldn't recommend the wings. I used to live on a long driveway through a farm field that would drift bad, I would try and go as fast as possible to fling that snow off as far and high as possible. I have a pretty good sized windshield I would just hide behind and go. Pushing medium snowfalls on a average sized driveway I think it would be a great idea though like a push box.
Spot on, every situation has a best attack plan. What's perfect for 1 is horrible for another. That's why I loved my old plows, had a v on the f350 and straight blade with turkey wings on the f250. Both were some mega snow moving machines but the turkey wings (essentially removable sides to make straight plow a box blade) wasn't always best used on some of our very large commercial lots. Those required 1 truck to window and other to carry it away to spot specified by company personnel. If I'd have kept the box sides on the plow, it'd have stopped the truck dead after a bit (I'd personally had the truck stopped more then once when it kept piling up so high I literally couldn't see where I was going at that point until momentum slowed, and I was pushing an immovable wall :)

But In the Proper scenario, the winged, boxed, and slightly veed plows are at least 30% upto 50% more efficency for cleaning than just a convential blade and allowed me to double our workload vs what we could do prior with only straightblades.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Old thread, but I just bought a new ATV for plowing and it came with a reverse light. Considering how often I am plowing at night, I think that is a great mod for a plowing ATV. I have used it several times already just when parking it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts