Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I know it's a little early to start talking about winter and snow haha but I was just wondering what kind of plows you guys are using and what seems to be working best!? I have a 850 xp touring and I really need a plow where I live ( Northern Ontario) and just want an idea of what seems to be doing good for you guys as well as price ranges!?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a 50" County Moose plow on my Sportsman 500. The plow is built like a tank compared to other plows. The County plow is nice for throwing the snow when it is deep but for light snow falls I would like a wider plow.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I'll be copying the glacier 3 system when I build my plow later this year. It's a hybrid forward/mid mount quick connect system. pretty slick. but there are so many systems out their it's hard to make a decision of what to get/build.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
why would you want a lighter plow? the weight it what keeps the plow on the ground instead of skipping up over the ice and crap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got a Polaris 60" plow off CL in mint condition for 125 bucks :rock_dj:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I use a Glacier 3 system with a 60 inch blade on my 12 850 XP and love it. I live in the snow belt of northern Michigan so it gets a lot of use. Burned out one winch last year but no issues from my plow.

sent from my Droid Razr Maxx...I would rather be riding.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Getting a Glacier 3 60" soon for my 850, need it to plow the cabin driveway, it can get pretty deep at 8200'.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Question, how many of you replace your winch cable with a short plow rope? I was wondering if it's worth the trouble. I still ride in the winter and don't want to be without my winch on the trail.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have a 60" Glacier 3 plow sytem on the 800, and it works good with no major complaints other then the blade steel could be a little thicker/more heavy duty. As for the mountign system itself..... it's awesome very easy on and off!!! :fing02:

The 2005 400 I picked up for the wife had a Eagle plow sytem mounted on it (which I sold.... dumb).... looked to be a very nice and well built (heavy duty) setup. Looked pretty easy on - easy off. The only down side (IMHO) is the belly mounting plate hangs about 3.5-4" bellow the frame of the machine. But is a two piece setup, and by loosening 4 nylock nuts can remove the down hanging section, the bolt heads are secured in "key hole" style fashion (loosen and slide forward in slot so the head can drop out of the hole). The push tubes mount to the mounting plate by means of "hooks hung over pins" and is than secured by a spring loaded clip/clamp with a nice 2 finger sized handle. And the whole system seems to be built like a brick [email protected] house!! :fing02:

I'd recommend either of these two..... but can tell you when the Popo Glacier 3 is done, I'll probably get an Eagle to replace it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I had the 60" Glacier 1 for many years, very good and durable plow, but on my 850 I went to the 60" Warn Provantage just because the plow blade is about 5-6" taller than the Glacier plow blades and that is awesome as it takes less passes to do the driveway even with a deeper snowfall! Super easy on off mounting too, better than my glacier 1, but do not know how it compares to the Glacier 3 as far as on off, but I got the front mount vs belly mount.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
why would you want a lighter plow? the weight it what keeps the plow on the ground instead of skipping up over the ice and crap.
Dont like all the squat from heavy blades, plus my driveway is 1/8th mile of dirt so i need the packed base before i plow anyways.
you should have guides on your plow. basically adjustable feet that prevent the blade from diggin in to much. It's my understanding that on dirt/gravel roads you're supposed to set these guides so that the blade sits about 3/4" above the ground with the pads on the guide on the ground. The group should be frozen so traction shouldn't be to bad, and with the blade raised above the ground you shouldn't be plowing your road surface off either.

aslo, that squat is helping you plow, as the extra weight is giving you more traction.

----------

The glacier 1 was a mid mount system It was know for it's durability. the Glacier 2 was a front mount quick connect system that was notorious for it's lack of durability. The glacier 3 is hybrid quick connect. It mounts both in the front and under the frame like a mid mount. The pushing force, and weight distribution is the same as a midmount only. but to attach it you attach the front quick connect, than drive forward and the under frame connection automatically connects itself. No need to climb under the machine. Basically you get all the pros of both the mid mount and the front mount systems, but without the major flaws. The Glacier 3 hasn't been around long enough to really make a name for itself. but everyone that I've heard that had one has had no complaints.

To be honest, I haven't done much research on the other systems available because once I saw the Glacier 3's attachment system, I knew that was the way I was going to go. But that doesn't mean the others out there aren't good systems. I've heard good things about Eagle plow, Warn, and Cycle Country which are made by Kolpin.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the 60" Glacier 1 for many years, very good and durable plow, but on my 850 I want to the 60" Warn Provantage just because the plow blade is about 5-6" taller than the Glacier plow blades and that is awesome as it takes less passes to do the driveway even with a deeper snowfall! Super easy on off mounting too, better than my glacier 1, but do not know how it compares to the Glacier 3 as far as on off, but I got the front mount vs belly mount.
That's the way I was leaning also, the provantage system seems pretty good . Anyone had experience with the warn provantage system?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
271 Posts
Question, how many of you replace your winch cable with a short plow rope? I was wondering if it's worth the trouble. I still ride in the winter and don't want to be without my winch on the trail.
Yes. Not much trouble to replace. If you are only plowing in the winter, then just put it on when it gets cold and replace it with your synthetic 50' when it gets warm.

I found the longer rope gets tangled easily. The shorter one, I think it's 8', not so much.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Anyone have pictures of there's mounted, specifically how high they will winch up and be out of the way for loading onto trailers etc. and driving through deep snow.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Pure Polaris 60" Steel Blade w/ Glacier III Mount (Mid-Mount):

Fully Lowered:

(Blades about 14" tall, but I'd have to double check to be certain.)

Fully Raised:

(About 12+ inches of blade cutting edge clearance, and you'll only loose about 2" of chasis clearance from push tubes.)

Bottom Raised View:

(Showing factory bend/angle in push tubes to allow for most lifted ground clearance on a mid mount system.)
(Also shows round blade height adjustment pads, near ends of blade)

Top Lowered Push Tube & Swivel View:

(Red handle near blade sets 5 place swivel angles - center / two left / two right.)

Mounting Notes: In the picture, just above the red "Dog Kong " (winch saver), you'll see a black and a galvanized tube handle and release lever. This is the mount release, just squeze these like a hand brake along with a slight tug and the plow will detach/fall off. Unhook winch cable and off riding you go!! To reattach simply drive over plow, lift rear push tube studs into mount hooks and lift the front handle. It will clip into place and on to plowing you go..... Nice and easy, and really appears to be a nice system.

The only draw back to this system is the blade height could be a few 2-4" taller. Or add a rubber flap to the top as I did and that will solve most of the issues with fluffy snow roll over the plow blade. Wet snow is another story.... as we all know!! :D

I too have a gravel (crushed asphalt) driveway and set my pads to "float the blade" about 1/2 - 5/8" until a good snow pack base is established. Than I'll lower the pads to about 1/4 - 3/8", to clean better.

*** I'd strongly suggest a short 10-12 ft cable/strap/rope to replace your factory 50 ft cable, during plowing season. I personally picked up a boat trailer winch strap with hook to replace my cable for plowing.***

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Here are a couple picks of my Provantage and one that kinda compares the 2, I believe the Glacier 3 lifts up like 12" which is one other thing I did not like (someone may correct the distance as I may be a tad off), and my new Warn ProVantage with the front mount lifts up super high, something like 30" or so..

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm in the same boat you are right now and have been doing similar research. I live in southern Ontario so certain systems availability can be a problem. The Polaris dealers of course all swear by the Polaris system and it indeed looks/sounds like a great system. However, I have an exceptional motorcycle dealer nearby who sells all kinds of after market atv supplies. Talked at length with him about snow plows. He highly recommends the WARN Provantage front mount system. He says it is his #1 seller by far, followed by the Moose system. I got a verbal quote from him for whole 60" system about $600. The Polaris system is about the same price. Hope this helps. Please post your progress as you move along, I'd like to hear/see your train of thought. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts