Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how to add weight to the back wheels of the quad safely. I don't want to just stack weight on the back rack, I guess only as a last resort.

How about weight on the plow blade itself, has anyone tried this? Is if bad for the front end?

I have the Glacier III plow set up

Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am new at this myself, but on my 2011 Sportsman 400 HO, I put 2 of those sand logs that peeps put in their truck beds for weight on my back rack. I just bungeed it down crisscross with 2 straps. So far they stay put and helps when backing up. I did have a 50 lb bag of ice melt on the front until a low hanging tree branch poked a hole in it. 50 lbs seemed about right there. My Glacier III does ok in up to 7 inches of snow so far. Getting 4 to 6 inches overnight tonight. If I get a big cold icey type pile of snow, the blade might ride up a tad. Otherwise, I wouldn't put any wieght on it. Some put down pressure devices on them to hold them down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Don't add any wieght to the plow. The G3 is going to break anyway. adding weight will just cause a failure much sooner. I got mine the week of Christmas. And got a new one on Thursday, installed Friday, broken without using it by Saturday. Read the thread under the Sportsman's forum on here and look for Glacier Plow Issues.

You can get springs or spacers. That will raise the front thus shifting some weight to the back. A sand bag or two seems to be the best idea. If your getting stuck all the time. And don't want to use the override switch. Get the mod the will keep it in 4 wheel drive all the time reguardless of direction of travel.

Good luck hope you have better luck with your G3 than I did.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been plowing all winter with my 450 and Glacier (not sure which model). I have a 200 foot driveway and haven't used any weights. It works great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I haven't used weights on mine either. But, I am going to try it. I have a 300 footer and at the top is a steep hill. My Artic Cat I could back up back accross it with no issue. I am sure a Polaris wouldn't do that without some weight on the rear. Mine seems to want to go accross it vs up or the way I want it to go. It was real bad with factory tires. I haven't had a chance to try it with the Grims. Forward is fine, reverse is bad, on a hill that is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your information. My Glacier III seems to be holding really well so far, I just thought there was an easy way to get more weight on it to get it to scrap a little better. And as far as traction goes, I only had one problem trying to move a big pile of wet snow up hill.

A few more questions, How much is too much snow to push? Wet and fluffy? When will I really do damage to the quad?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you all for your information. My Glacier III seems to be holding really well so far, I just thought there was an easy way to get more weight on it to get it to scrap a little better. And as far as traction goes, I only had one problem trying to move a big pile of wet snow up hill.

A few more questions, How much is too much snow to push? Wet and fluffy? When will I really do damage to the quad?

Thanks everyone
You'll lose traction long before you break something or run out of power from pushing too much snow.

Last winter when I bought my X2 I used it to plow a parking lot with 14+" or snow on it. I bought it specifically for that storm because my plow truck was Out of Service.

The biggest issue I had was going in a straight line with the blade angled in the really deep stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use my 300 w/ a mid mount cycle country set up. No extra weight needed, works great. Can plow 6-10 inches of snow no problem. Don't know anything about the Glacier set up, but if you had traction you might need some extra weight up front I have seen guys do that here when the snow is wet & heavy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same with the Tusk Dozer blade. No extra weight needed and scrapes the driveway clean. We had 20" recently and the quad and plow pushed it around no problem. I do the neighbors drive also. He has a gravel drive and I keep telling him that by the end of the winter, he is going to have a very level driveway as the plow has taken off quite a few high spots he had. On his drive I set the skids a little higher so I don't take all his gravel off the drive but on my blacktop drive, I drop it down so the blade actually scrapes the drive. If I remember from the shipping label, the plow itself, without the push tubes or any mounting hardware, weighs in at around 85lbs. The UPS guy was cursing me out for this. :rant:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts