Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a polaris sportsman 500 with a front snow mover attachment, does this thing have enough power to clear snow from a large parking lot, about half an acre of parking lot. Would it be able to move a dump like 3-4 inches or more of snow and move it to the other end of the parking lot?

I am really concerned with the power?? Would it do the job?

Has anyone used it for this purpose and with any success.
I know it is great for small areas, but would it handle a large lot?
How much time does it take to clear a parking lot this size? any one with experience?

I am looking for an economical alternative to move snow without having to hire someone to do it.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
The 500 has the same HP as the largest Honda (Rincon) but has true 4x4. I used my old Rincon for plowing and never had a issue. You will be more than fine. Just remember to do the reverse override modification so you do not have to hit the yellow button in reverse to have 4x4 engaged.

·
Registered
601 Posts
:thinking: your concerned with the power??Oh please the 500 HO has plenty of power to push snow...i have one myself ,but i did do alot of mods to it...but no really to answer your question...((Plenty of power)), the question is...will you get off the 500 when plowing cause you'll be having so much:drive: fun doing it is the question....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'v got a 2000 500 sportsman i plow snow with I even added 2ft to my plow making it 6ft wide and i have no problems as long as it isn't hard packed with ice on top! but i still can break thro it. i live in southern Ohio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
live at 8000 foot elevation, in utah plow an awfull lot of snow, power no problem, I have pulled a couple subarus out of the bar ditch, have fun

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a new, 2011Sportsman 500 H.O. with the Glacier III plow system. I have a large circle drive and live in Northern Wisconsin. I had no problems clearing the drive of 10" of wet snow after the last storm. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Mike

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That 500 should have plenty of power. Just don't go overboard trying to move 16" of snow with it. My 850 had trouble with that much last season. Mostly because of the lack of tracking with the ice layer on the bottom.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use a Foreman 450 to plow. My drive is 1/4 mile long and it does great! I could use my 600 but the Honda works great so I never got a plow mount for my Polaris. If my old school 450 Honda can plow a mountain of snow your 500 should plow circles around me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would probably rather plow a parking lot with a pickup truck. If you must do it with the quad, don't try to push it all at once! I've been plowing with my new 500 this whole winter and it pushes snow great. On a side note, the winch stopped retrieving after a few storms. It wouldn't pick the plow back up. Dealer repaired it at no cost. I imagine it will break again after a few more storms. Maybe I should've went with a Warn instead of the Polaris brand. Machine runs great, lots of storage. Having to push the override button to get 4WD in reverse is a pain in the ass. I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Ive been plowing snow with our sportsman 450 and it has more than enough power, so a 500 will handle the snow just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe I should've went with a Warn instead of the Polaris brand.
I'm pretty sure Warn makes Polaris' winches for them, so if you want to switch brands, keep that in mind.

For all you with the experience on the 500, 2 questions. What size blade are you running, and are you adding weight to the back? I am leaning toward a 48'' blade to have more than enough power behind it, but 60'' would speed it up a bit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I too thought that warn made polairs winches but apparently the havent made them for polaris for some time. No one could tell me if polairs now makes their own winches or use some other brand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I plowed my 1500 foot lane and drive with my 500 and had no problems. That said a pickup is a better fit for doing a parking lot during deep snows. Its a weight thing...the more snow the harder it will be on a 4 wheeler. The 4 wheeler is great for a driveway though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
ShadyOaks;74468[For all you with the experience on the 500 said:
I don't need weight on the back, but I did find I need weight on the plow blade. It is so light it doesn't scrape real clean. Mine is the 48" blade, and it's some aftermarket brand, not Polaris equipment

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks ShadyOaks, I didn't know that. I opted for the 60" blade. When angled, the blade isn't 60" anymore and you want to clear a wide enough path for the tires. I have the Glacier II series and it works well. I do keep a 50 lb. bad of salt on the back when plowing, not that's it's needed but it doesn't hurt to have some weight to counter the plow's weight.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have a Glacier III set up with the 60" blade, my 500 can push it with no problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts