Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone make a roller fair lead that had solid rollers? Mine quit spinning so I took it apart and the rollers are larger than the bolts with plastic bushings on the ends. First few times of lifting my plow crushed these bushings and made it so it wont roll. POS.

I want a roller that has a hole just slightly bigger than the bolt. Am I gunna have to build one?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You must have a very heavy plow. I've been using mine for 11 years now and haven't crushed a bushing yet.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warn 60" county plow. Not that heavy. I just think the plastic bushing sucks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If the plastic bushings are all that failed, have some bronze bushings machined & pressed into your rollers.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Without bushings of some sort between the bolts and the rollers, over time your bolt and roller will scar each other up, producing metal shavings everywhere inside there.

Have you considered a solid fairlead like this one? (Amazon link)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You never did say if you were using rope or cable.
You really need rollers with cable , i would think that may have gotten just a defective or poor quality set of rollers. I've had mine (warn) for 10 years and they still turn. Try swapping the top to bottom and see if that helps, 'til you get a better fairlead.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a wire. Yes, I flipped it around for now

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have had both rope and wire and while the rope is nice I like the abrasion resistance of the cable...I just make a new one each spring for about $20 bucks from Lowes and I'm ready for a year of rocks and plowing...when I start getting a few broke stands I just make a new cable...my Warn synthetic rope and rope sheath were a pain in the ass and always getting locked up on the spool. Also, the rope got frayed rather easy which made me switch back to cable. I think if I was using 1/2 inch rope then that might be a different story but 3/16 or 1/4 inch rope doesn't give much margin once a thread breaks or it starts Getting all fuzzy looking...old school I guess but I did give rope the benefit of the doubt and just didn't care for it...and yes...I know all about how much stronger and safer it is but my $20 cable pulls me right over sharp boulders without a worry with a 1000 lb Machine and my fat ass on the seat.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I broke every bushing in that roller fairlead. Went to the shop today and bought a Warn. Plowed with it all day and it's still in perfect condition. I think I must of just had a super cheap one.

Sure is frustrating

Sent from my Triumph using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
must have been a super duper cheap roller fairlead from superwinch. I put the Warn one on and it still looks like the minute I put it on. I will never buy a superwinch product again. Flat junk!

·
Registered
5 Posts
must have been a super duper cheap roller fairlead from superwinch. I put the Warn one on and it still looks like the minute I put it on. I will never buy a superwinch product again. Flat junk!

Agree with your Superwinch comment. The bottom roller bent and crushed the bushing within 10 minutes of using it with a 54" Eagle plow on my '02 500 HO. It was the one that came with the LT3000. I took it off and gave it to a buddy and bought a Warn and a Viper as a backup. (The Viper winch / fairlead on my fathers '02 has worked fine for the last 5+ years.)

Also like you. . . no more Superwinch products for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts